Found Remnants / Architecture
|At least three items from Japans PPIE exhibits became part of the Japanese Tea Garden in San Franciscos Golden Gate Park. The Hagiwara entry gate, the five tiered pagoda, and the wicker gate which stands on the terrace above the tea house were purchased from the Exposition by Makato Hagiwara, a wealthy San Francisco contractor who had begun caring for and expanding the garden in 1895.
For San Franciscos Mid-Winter Fair of 1894, Makato had suggested to John McLaren, well known landscape designer and superintendent of Golden Gate Park, that a typical Japanese Village be created as a novel attraction for the fair. The village proved very popular with fair goers, and Makato asked McLaren whether he might be permitted to convert it into a permanent tea garden when the fair closed in July 1894. Early in 1895 permission was granted and for the next 30 years Makato Hagiwara supervised all aspects of the garden often making purchases for it at his own expense.
In 1908, Makato built a home for his family where the brick terrace next to the gift store is found today. The wicker gate from the PPIE served as the entry to this house just as it had served as the portico to the Administration building in the Japanese compound at the PPIE. The Hagiwara gate, the southern most and smallest of the two entry gates, stood at the east end of the Exhibit Hall in the Japanese enclave at the Exposition. A larger scale version of this gate served as the south entry to the Japanese grounds, but it was the smaller version that Makato Hagiwara moved to Golden Gate Park.