Summary of Experience
- Experienced professionally and personally as writer, editor, copywriter,
and proofreader. Able to communicate in clear, direct, understandable
- Trained to simplify complex, scientific language into layperson's terms
using clear, direct, understandable language. Able to highlight core
- Experienced working collaboratively with others as well as independently.
Able to adapt to the project's demands.
- Practiced in multi-tasking situations. Able to switch gears and
- Skilled in effective marketing, communication, outreach, education,
training, and promotional activities. Able to target language to the
- Extensive experience writing professional and personal documents using
multiple versions of Microsoft Word and OpenOffice Writer including
full-length product manuals, newsletters, articles, books, chapbooks, ad
copy, brochures, and business correspondence.
- Course work intensive using FrameMaker 8, RoboHelp 7, PowerPoint
2003/2007, Word 2003/2007, OpenOffice Writer, and OpenOffice Impress.
Delivered manuals and reports.
- Managing editor for non-profit press. Took manuscripts through the full
production process including selection, editing, design, and layout.
Evaluated, selected, edited, proofread, typeset, and printed manuscripts.
Wrote blurbs, ad copy, and correspondence. Oversaw publication of 30 books
- Developed, wrote, and edited advertising newsletter called "Winecellar of
Silene News & Notes" for groundbreaking wine store (News & Notes
voted Best in Nation by Washington Post). Researched information, consulted
subject matter experts, delivered informative, easily understandable copy
for both novice and expert wine enthusiasts. Wrote informational and
educational handouts for retail wine outlet's entire product line.
- Business & Marketing
Consultant, Tributary Communications (self-employed), Billerica, MA, 06/09-present
Develop marketing strategies, write strong copy, and design websites for businesses. Consult with businesses to improve communications. Use social networks and email campaigns to vitalize businesses. Improved business communications improves bottom line. Recently created successful learning tool for students of Ralston School of Massage, Reno, NV, including website and email class.
- Quality Assessment, Kelly Service/Google, Lexington
Supervised scanner operators. Performed quality assurance on pre-copyright era book scans for online book project. Checked scanned page images for quality fulfillment.
- Senior Editor, Potes & Poets
Press, Bedford, MA, 09/00-05/05
Managed day-to-day business. Evaluated,
selected, edited, proofread manuscripts. Typeset books using Microsoft
Publisher. Wrote ad copy, blurbs, business correspondence, and publication
- Writer/Consultant, Silenus
Wines, Waltham MA, 02/77-11/98
Wrote wine-related monthly newsletter,
numerous informational handouts, and articles using WordPerfect and Xywrite.
Wrote internal communications and customer outreach. Researched, advised,
explained, and informed. Simplified the confusing scientific and historical
complexities of wine for both a novice and expert clientele.
Education & Certifications
- Certificate, Technical Writing, Middlesex Community College, Bedford,
- M.A., Education and Process, Lesley University, Cambridge MA.
- B.A., Education/English, Lesley University, Cambridge MA. (3.89 GPA)
- Massachusetts Educator's License, Preliminary, English grades 8-12
Skills & Technical Expertise
- Superior English grammar skills
- Licensed to teach English in Massachusetts
- Trained in and experienced using desktop publishing tools such as Microsoft Office, Adobe FrameMaker, RoboHelp, and HTML: typeset books, created newsletters and websites
- Experienced in meeting deadlines for monthly newsletter, advertising, and book publication deadlines
- Linguistically skilled: writer/speaker of French
- Project Manager: main writer for successful retail outlet, editor for book publisher
Toastmasters International, Tech Park Group, Billerica, MA
- Simple Theory, Potes & Poets Press, 2002 (out of print)
- Days Poem (volumes 1
& 2), Meritage Press, 2007
- Walden Book, Greying