Serial: 6B Episode Nos. 578, 579, 580, and 581. Title: Earthshock
A group of archaelogists was murdered in a cave system on Earth in the 26th century. The Doctor and a group of investigating military troopers soon learn that they were killed protecting a bomb planted there that could destroy the Earth. The trail leads to a freigher deep in space en route for Earth, where the Doctor learns to his horror that the Cybermen have returned....
This story sees the departure of Matthew Waterhouse as Adric.
starring Peter Davison as the Doctor, Matthew Waterhouse as Adric, Sarah Sutton as Nyssa, and Janet Fielding as Tegan. Written by Eric Saward, Produced by John Nathan-Turner, and Directed by Peter Grimwade.
Originally transmitted from
- All 4 episodes of the story, digitally restored and remastered. Episodes are 25 minutes each.
- Commentary track by actors Peter Davison (the Doctor), Matthew Waterhouse (Adric), Sarah Sutton (Nyssa), and Janet Fielding (Tegan).
- Production Notes Subtitles option.
- Isolated Music option. Plays the story with only the incidental music playing... no other sound.
- CGI Effects option. Plays the story with many of the special effects replaced with newly generated CGI effects. (mostly the laser fire)
- Film Sequences. Plays all 9 minutes of the location filming for this story. It plays without music and sound effects, and has some moments
at the top and tail of scenes not seen in the finished program, and other scenes that were only heard and not seen as they involved the character
Walters talking on his radio, and in the finished version we were hearing his responses on radios on the other end.
- “Putting the Shock into Earthshock”. New 32-minute documentary about the making of this story and the reaction of fans to it when it first
aired. Features interviews with Peter Davison (the Doctor), Matthew Waterhouse (Adric), Sarah Sutton (Nyssa), David Banks
(Cyber Leader), writer Eric Saward, director Peter Grimwade, and “famous fans” Gary Russell, Mark Gatiss, Steven Moffat,
Steve O’Brien, Ian Levine, Gary Gillatt, and Tim Collins MP.
- “Did You See?”. 10 minutes from an episode from this BBC2 series from 1982 hosted by Gavin Scott, who takes a nostalgic look at the
series’ monsters, with emphasis on the Cybermen (this episode aired just a week after Earthshock started).
- “Episode 5”. A new 1.5 minute spoof showing what happened to Adric when he luckily escaped at the last minute from the crash...
- 40th Anniversary Celebration. 3-minute music video of clips from throughout the series celebrating the 40th anniversary.
- Photo Gallery. 5 minute photo stills compilation from the production.
- “Who’s Who”. Text listing of actors’ biographies.
- 1 Easter Egg. Highlight the invisible area below to see how to find it and what it is:
- Go into the Special Features menu, and highlight the “40th Anniversary Celebration” option, then press the left arrow.
A Doctor Who logo will appear highlighted. Click this, and you will see a 1-minute segment from a BBC comedy program from
1982 featuring a scene from Earthshock dubbed into Jamaican.