Serial: 4E Story No. 78 Episode Nos. 392, 393, 394, 395, 396, and 397. Title: Genesis of the Daleks
The Doctor and his friends are intercepted by the Time Lords and sent on a mission to avert the creation of the Doctor's most dreaded adversary, the Daleks. Together they find a world ravaged by centuries of warfare, and from it's ashes, a mad, crippled scientist called Davros seeks to devise a war machine in which the creatures his people will mutate into can survive and conquer the universe...
This story is the first to feature Davros, the creator of the Daleks.
starring Tom Baker as Doctor Who, Elisabeth Sladen as Sarah Jane Smith, and Ian Marter as Harry Sullivan. Written by Terry Nation, Produced by Phillip Hinchcliffe, and Directed by David Maloney.
Originally transmitted from
- On Disc 1:
- All 6 episodes of this serial. Episodes are 25 minutes each.
- Episode selection and scene selection menus, and subtitles for the hearing impaired option.
- Commentary track with actors Tom Baker (Doctor Who), Elisabeth Sladen (Sarah Jane Smith), and Peter Miles (Nyder),
and director David Maloney.
- Information Text subtitles option. This plays pop-up production trivia throughout the story.
- On Disc 2:
- Genesis of a Classic A new 62-minute documentary about how this story came to be. It features interviews with
actors Tom Baker (Doctor Who), Elisabeth Sladen (Sarah Jane Smith), Michael Wisher (Davros),
Peter Miles (Nyder), Guy Siner (Gen. Ravon), James Garbutt (Ronson), Dennis Chinnery (Gharman),
Roy Skelton (Dalek Voices), and John Scott Martin and Cy Town (Dalek Operators).
And from the crew, Dick Mills
Sylvia James (Make-Up Designer), outgoing Script Editor Terrance Dicks, outgoing Producer Barry Letts,
incoming Producer Philip Hinchcliffe, and Director David Maloney.
- The Dalek Tapes A new 53-minute documentary overview of most of the Dalek stories made throughout the
classic series. It features interviews with actors Anneke Wills (Polly), Terry Molloy (Davros in the 1980s stories),
Cy Town (Dalek Operator), Royce Mills and Roy Skelton (Dalek Voices on the classic series),
Nicholas Briggs (Dalek Voices on the new series and for Big Finish audios), Writers Terrance Dicks and Eric Saward,
Visual Effects Designer Peter Day, Production Designer Derek Dodd, Producer Philip Hinchcliffe,
Directors Richard Martin, Ken Grieve, Timothy Combe, David Maloney, and Graeme Harper,
film critic Kim Newman, and viewers Andrew Beech and Ian McLaughlin. It also sneaks in a deleted scene from
the Jon Pertwee story Death to the Daleks and a clip from the William Hartnell story The Daleks’ Master Plan
that has been experimentally colorized.
- Continuity Compilation A 6-minute feature that shows all of the BBC’s intro and outroductory announcments for
the original broadcasts and later repeat showings of this story.
- Blue Peter A 7-minute segment from the famous BBC children’s program that ran the week before this story was broadcast.
- Photo Gallery. An 8-minute feature of still photos taken during production of this story.
Doctor Who Annual 1976
and Radio Times
These are DVD-ROM features. Place this disc into a PC with a DVD-ROM drive and you will be able to read Adobe
Acrobat .pdf files containing the full text of the 1976 Doctor Who Annual short story/art/comic collection and the
billings for this story that ran in the Radio Times.
- Subtitles option for all features.