Serial: WWW Episode Nos. 360, 361, 362, 363, 364, and 365. Title: Invasion of the Dinosaurs
(Part One is simply titled Invasion)
Upon returning to
small gangs of looters, military police patrols, and dinosaurs! At least the dinosaurs seem to vanish
before they do too much damage, but then others turn up, and no one has a clue as to where they
come from or go to. The Doctor soon has some theories, of course, and rapidly finds he’s getting
too close to the truth for those involved in a conspiracy that has infiltrated UNIT itself...
starring Jon Pertwee as Doctor Who, Elisabeth Sladen as Sarah Jane Smith, Nicholas Courtney as
Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart, Richard Franklin as Captain Yates, and John Levene as Sergeant Benton.
Written by Malcolm Hulke, Produced by Barry Letts, and Directed by Paddy Russell.
A 2-disc set. On Disc 1:
- All 6 episodes of the story digitally remastered and restored.
Parts 2-6 are in full color and source from the original broadcast tapes.
Part 1's original broadcast tape no longer exists, however a black and white film copy of
it does, and it is presented here as the default version when you play the disc.
The Restoration Team's Color Recovery program has been applied to this film copy,
and reasonable but imperfect color was pulled back out of the film and is available to
watch here by turning it on from the Special Features menu.
- Graphical menus, episode and scene selection features, and subtitles for
the hearing impaired.
- Optional commentary track by actors Richard Franklin, Peter Miles (Prof. Whitaker),
and Terence Wilton (Mark), production designer Richard Morris, script editor
Terrance Dicks, and director Paddy Russell. Moderated by Toby Hadoke.
(Russell appears only with Mr. Hadoke and on parts 1, 4, and 5. Hadoke moderates
a mix-and-match panel of the others on the remaining episodes.)
- Information Text subtitles option. Displays pop-up production trivia throughout
- Coming Soon trailer for the forthcoming DVD of The Sensorites.
On Disc 2:
- "People, Power, and Puppetry." A 33-minute making-of documentary hosted by Matthew
Sweet and featuring interviews with everyone from the commentary track as well as
archive interviews with producer Barry Letts and the Doctor himself, Jon Pertwee.
- Deleted Scenes. 5 minutes worth of scenes (5 in number) deleted from the final show.
- Now and Then. Another installment of this often-appearing DVD feature comparing
and contrasting the locations as they looked in 1973 during shooting versus how they
look at the time of the DVD's production. 15 minutes.
- "Doctor Who Stories: Elisabeth Sladen Part 1" A 14-minute interview with Elisabeth
Sladen recorded in 2003 detailing her memories of all her stories with the Third Doctor.
Future parts will appear on other forthcoming DVDs.
- John Levene Commentary. Mr. Levene submitted his own solo commentary for certain
of his episodes, and 10 minutes of what he had to say about the start of Part Five are
- Photo Gallery. A 6-minute compilation of photo stills taken during the production.
- Billy Smart's Circus. A 2-minute segment from a 1974 circus show where Jon Pertwee
drives the Whomobile into a circus for a chat with two children.
- PDF Materials. The Radio Times listings are available as a .pdf file if you put the disc
into a computer. So too are two sets of artwork from the 1975 and 1977 Weetabix
Doctor Who tie-in box covers.
- 1 Easter Egg. Highlight the blank area below to see what it is and how to find it:
Go to the Special Features menu, highlight the Now and Then selection and press
the left arrow. A Doctor Who logo will appear. Select this and you will see the
30-second countdown clock from the start of the master tape for Part Five.