Serial: 6Q Episode Nos. 623, 624, 625, and 626. Title: Planet of Fire
Kamelion suffers an attack and takes the TARDIS to the volcanic world Sarn. Once again under the Master's control, he undermines the stability of the planet in order to release a restorative gas. Meanwhile, Turlough grows ever more evasive when he learns the planet was once a prison colony of his own people, and that some of his family may be among the convicts...
This story sees the debut of Nicola Bryant as Peri and the departure of Mark Strickson as Turlough and Kamelion (voiced by Gerald Flood).
starring Peter Davison as the Doctor, Mark Strickson as Turlough, Nicola Bryant as Peri, and Anthony Ainley as the Master. Written by Peter Grimwade, Produced by John Nathan-Turner, and Directed by Fiona Cumming.
Originally transmitted from
2-disc set. On Disc 1:
- All 4 episodes of the story, digitally remastered and restored.
- Graphical menus, episode and scene selection features, and subtitles for
the hearing impaired.
- Optional commentary track by actors Peter Davison, Mark Strickson,
and Nicola Bryant, and director Fiona Cumming.
- Information Text subtitles option. Displays pop-up production trivia throughout
- “Return to the Planet of Fire” A 13-minute featurette where director Fiona
Cumming and production designer Malcolm Thornton return to the locations
island has changed, or not, as the case may be.
- Alternative Edits, deleted and extended scenes. A 15-minute package of
different edits and deleted scenes, mostly from the location filming.
- Continuity. A 2-minute package of the BBC’s introductions to the episodes
on the original broadcast.
- Photo Gallery. An 8-minute compilation of photo stills taken during production.
- Isolated Music Score. An option in the sound menu allowing you to play the
the story with only the music playing on the sound.
- Coming Soon trailer for the forthcoming DVD of The Dominators.
- PDF Materials: Place this disc into your computer and you’ll have access to
PDF files containing the original 1984 Radio Times TV listings for this story.
- 1 Easter Egg. Highlight the blank area below to see what is and how to find it.
Go to the “Return to the Planet of Fire” selection in the Special Features
menu, then press the left arrow. A Doctor Who logo will appear.
Click on this and you’ll see 30 seconds worth of the studio countdown
clocks from the master tapes of the episodes.
On Disc 2:
- Planet of Fire: Special Edition A new, tighter, 66-minute edit of the story
overseen by director Fiona Cumming that features a specially shot
pre-credit sequence, new special effects, and Dolby 5.1 sound.
- An optional 1-minute introduction by Fiona Cumming.
- “Calling the Shots” An 8-minute documentary built around much of the wild
studio footage happening between scenes, featuring interviews with
Peter Davison, Mark Strickson, Nicola Bryant, Fiona Cumming, and
- “Remembering Anthony Ainley” A 13-minute featurette looking at the Doctor
Who career of Anthony Ainley (the Master), featuring convention
interview footage with the man himself. Others from Planet of Fire also
- Sound options to play the special edition in either 5.1 or 2.0 sound.
of the special features that was present in the
deducted from the North American edition, however. This was a
behind-the-scenes documentary called “The Flames of Sarn.” (The rookie
producer of this documentary mistakenly used accompanying music that
in territories outside the