Serial: 5G Episode Nos. 514, 515, 516, and 517. Title: The Creature From the Pit
A distress call brings the TARDIS to the planet Chloris, where vegetation is everywhere and metal is scarce. What metal there is all belongs to the Lady Adrasta, whose monopoly control of the only metal mine gives her a tyrannical power over all. And yet she fears two things... a metal egg-shell that emitted the call the TARDIS homed on, and an enormous luminous green creature that inhabits the old pit of the mine. She believes the Doctor and his friends can help her with both problems, and will force him to do so upon pain of his friend’s death...
This story sees the debut of David Brierley as the Voice of K9.
starring Tom Baker as Doctor Who, Lalla Ward as Romana, and David Brierley as the voice of K9. Written by David Fisher, Produced by Graham Williams, and Directed by Christopher Barry.
Originally transmitted from
- All 4 episodes of the story, digitally remastered and restored.
- Graphical menus, episode and scene selection features, and subtitles for
the hearing impaired.
Optional commentary track by actors Lalla
Director Christopher Barry, and
Visual Effects Designer Mat
- Information Text subtitles option. Displays pop-up production trivia throughout
- “Team Erato” A 15-minute documentary where the visual effects team and
director Christopher Barry discuss what went wrong in the making of this
story’s main monster.
- “Animal Magic” A 3-minute segment from another program recorded by
Tom Baker during the making of this story where he talks to the audience
about what creatures he’s met and how they compare to Earth animals.
- Photo Gallery. A 5-minute compilation of photo stills taken during production.
- Extended Scene. A 26-second scene that’s slightly longer than what was used
in the finished program of the bandits looting Adrasta’s palace.
- Coming Soon trailer for the stories The King’s Demons and Planet of Fire.
- PDF Materials. Place this disc into your computer and you’ll have access to
PDF files containing the original 1979 Radio Times TV listings for this story.