Serial: 4P Episode Nos. 436, 437, 438, and 439. Title: The Deadly Assassin
The Doctor is recalled to Gallifrey, where he finds himself framed for the assassination of the President of the High Council of the
Time Lords by his archenemy the Master. His only chance at revealing his innocence seems to lie in a journey into the nightmare
virtual reality world of the Matrix. Will the Doctor expose the true assassin, and will Gallifrey survive a cataclysm unleashed by
This is the first story to take place almost entirely on the Doctor's home planet of Gallifrey.
starring Tom Baker as Doctor Who and Peter Pratt as the Master. Written by Robert Holmes, Produced by Philip Hinchcliffe,
and Directed by David Maloney.
- All four 25-minute episodes with full restoration treatment.
- Graphical menus, episode and scene selection features, and subtitles for the hearing impaired.
- Optional commentary track with actors Tom Baker and Bernard Horsfall (Chancellor Goth),
and producer Philip Hinchcliffe.
- Information Text subtitles option. Displays pop-up production trivia throughout the story.
- “The Matrix Revisited” A 29-minute featurette about the making of the story, featuring interviews
with Tom Baker, Bernard Horsfall, Philip Hinchcliffe, the late director David Maloney,
production designer Roger Murray-Leach, anti-violence activist Mary Whitehouse, and
longtime fan Jan Vincent-Rudzki.
- “The Gallifreyan Candidate” An 11-minute featurette where media studies experts compare
this Doctor Who story to the film The Manchurian Candidate and find numerous parallels.
- “The Frighten Factor” A 17-minute featurette examining the nature of fear and how Doctor Who
stories have exploited basic fears through its history. Includes interviews with former producer
Barry Letts and former script editor Terrance Dicks.
- Photo Gallery. 6 minutes of still photos taken throughout the production of the story.
- PDF Materials. Readable by your computer, a pdf file containing the original Radio Times billings
for this story.
- 1 Easter Egg. Highlight the blank area of text below to see what it is and how to find it.
Go into the Special Features menu and highlight the Photo Gallery selection. Press the left
arrow and a Doctor Who logo will appear. Click on this and a 30-second featurette will play
showing the continuity announcement that advertised this story at the conclusion of the