Serial: VV Episode Nos. 220 (missing, replaced with animated version), 221, 222, 223 (missing, replaced with animated version), 224, 225, 226, and 227.
Title: The Invasion
The International Electromatic company has cornered the world market in
micro-circuitry. IE equipment has spread
everywhere thanks to it's owner Tobias Vaughn and the technology he has imported from alien allies who wish to
use it to control the world. It is up to the Doctor and the newly formed United Nations Intelligence Taskforce to try
and stop the invasion of Earth by the Cybermen...
This is the first story to feature UNIT, and sees the debut of John Levene as Corporal Benton.
starring Patrick Troughton as Dr. Who, Frazer Hines as Jamie, Wendy Padbury as Zoe, Nicholas Courtney as Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart, and John Levene as Corporal Benton.. Written by Derrick Sherwin from a story by Kit Pedler, Produced by Peter Bryant, Directed by Douglas Camfield..
Originally transmitted from
- On both discs:
- Graphical menus, episode selection, and scene selection features.
- Commentary tracks. Episode 1 features animation director Steve Maher, BBC producer James Goss, and audio restoration
expert Mark Ayres. The remaining episodes feature actors Wendy Padbury (Zoe), Frazer Hines (Jamie),
Nicholas Courtney (Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart), and production assistant Chris D’Oyly-John.
- Information Text subtitles with pop-up production information throughout the story.
- Subtitles for the hearing impaired.
- On Disc 1:
- Episodes 1 – 4. Episodes 2 and 3 are the original recordings, lovingly restored as usual. Episodes 1 and 4 are newly
created animations by Cosgrove Hall mated to original soundtrack recordings made by fans at home at the time
of the original broadcasts.
- “Flash Frames” A new 11-minute featurette about the animation production process used to recreate episodes 1 and 4.
- “Love Off-Air” A new 15-minute featurette about the off-air sound recordings fans made at the time of the original
broadcasts of these and other classic episodes.
- Animation Trailers. 2 trailers made for the animated episodes totalling 2 minutes in length.
- Character Design. 3 minutes of character design drawings used in the animated production.
- This disc boots up with a new 30-second trailer for the Complete Second Series Box Set starring David Tennant.
- On Disc 2:
- Episodes 5 - 8. These are all the original recordings, restored.
- “Evolution of The Invasion” A new 50-minute featurette about the making of the story, featuring interviews with
actors Frazer Hines, Wendy Padbury, Nicholas Courtney, Kevin Stoney (Tobias Vaughn), Sally Faulkner (Isobel),
Peter Halliday (Packer), Ian Fairbairn (Gregory), and Edward Burnham (Prof. Watkins), as well as production
assistant Chris D’Oyly-John and script editor Terrance Dicks.
- 1993 VHS links. These are the linking narrations recorded by Nicholas Courtney in 1993 for the original VHS release
of this story. The links were used to try to patch the gaps in the narrative caused by the two missing episodes.
They total 3 minutes in length.
- Photo Gallery. 7 minutes of still photos taken during the production.