Serial: 4M Episode Nos. 428, 429, 430, and 431. Title: The Masque of Mandragora
The TARDIS is hijacked by an energy force and landed in Renaissance Italy, where it possesses willing members of the
Cult of Demnos. With their aid, it seeks to end the dawn of the New Reason before it begins. The Doctor must find a
way to stop it's powers, and at the same time save the Dukedom of San Martino from a tryannical pretender to it's throne...
starring Tom Baker as Doctor Who and Elisabeth Sladen as Sarah Jane Smith. Written by Louis Marks, Produced by
Philip Hinchcliffe, and Directed by Rodney Bennett.
- All four episodes of the story with full restoration treatment.
- Graphical menus, episode and scene selection features, and subtitles for the hearing impaired.
- Optional commentary track by actors Tom Baker and Gareth Armstrong (Giuliano), producer Philip
Hinchcliffe, and production unit manager Chris D’Oyly-John.
- Information Text subtitles option. Displays pop-up production trivia throughout the story.
- “The Secret of the Labyrinth” A new 26-minute documentary about the making of this story, with
interviews with everyone from the commentary plus actors Antony Carrick (Rossini), Jon Laurimore
(Count Federico), and Tim Pigott-Smith (Marco), director Rodney Bennett, designer Barry Newbery,
SFX editor Steve O’Brien, and TV historian Jim Sangster. Much of this shot on location at
Portmeirion, Wales, where this story was shot.
- “Bigger on the Inside” A 19-minute featurette looking at the changing look of the TARDIS interior
throughout the series. Features interviews with Tom Baker, designer Barry Newbery, script editor
Christopher H. Bidmead, writer Robert Shearman, and others.
- “Now and Then” A 9-minute featurette comparing how the locations at Portmeirion looked in 1976 during
the story’s production with how they look today.
- “Beneath the Masque” A 10-minute (very funny) satire of Doctor Who DVD featurettes written by and
starring Clayton Hickman (former Doctor Who Magazine editor) and new series writer Gareth Roberts.
- Trails and Continuity. A 3-minute featurette compilation of all the BBC’s trailers and announcements
for this story from 1976.
- Photo Gallery. An 8-minute compilation of photographic stills taken during the production.
- Coming Soon Trailer. A 2-minute trailer for the forthcoming DVD set The Space Museum and The Chase.
- PDF Materials. Viewable by placing this disc in your computer’s optical drive, you can see PDF files
containing the Radio Times listings for these episodes from 1976.