Serial: YYY Episode Nos. 370, 371, 372, 373, 374, and 375. Title: The Monster of Peladon
50 years after his previous visit, the Doctor returns to the planet Peladon to find it once again in a state of crisis.
The Galactic Federation is at war with Galaxy 5, and the vital trisilicate supplies from Peladon are being interrupted by
labor strife among the Pel miners, strife that is amplified when the spirit of Aggedor appears and strikes men down.
The Doctor suspects trickery is behind the apparitions, but his investigations are hindered when a Federation security force
of Ice Warriors arrives...
starring Jon Pertwee as Doctor Who and Elisabeth Sladen as Sarah Jane Smith. Written by Brian Hayles,
Produced by Barry Letts, and Directed by Lennie Mayne.
2-disc set. On Disc 1:
- All six episodes of the story with full restoration treatment.
- Graphical menus, episode and scene selection features, and subtitles for the hearing impaired.
- Optional commentary track by actors Nina Thomas (Queen Thalira), Donald Gee (Eckersley),
Ralph Watson (Ettis), and Stuart Fell (Alpha Centauri), script editor Terrance Dicks, and
producer Barry Letts. Moderated by Toby Hadoke. This main commentary appears on all but
the fourth episode. The fourth episode instead features a fan commentary with prominent fans
Rob Shearman (also a writer for the new series and Big Finish), Mark Aldridge, Kate Du-Rose,
and Philip Newman.
- Information Text subtitles option. Displays pop-up production trivia throughout the story.
On Disc 2:
- “The Peladon Saga – Part Two” A new 22-minute documentary about the making of this story
with interviews with everyone from the commentary, plus sound designer Brian Hodgson,
make-up designer Elizabeth Moss, and actors Sonny Caldinez (Sskel) and Nick Hobbs (Aggedor).
- Deleted Scene. The soundtrack of a scene deleted from Part One has been rediscovered and
presented here alongside still photos of the actors from the scene in question. 2 minutes.
- “Where Are They Now?” A 2-minute interview from 1980 with voice actress Ysanne Churchman,
who provided the voice of Alpha Centauri in both Peladon stories.
- “On Target: Terrance Dicks” A 22-minute documentary about the Target Books series of novelisations
of the TV episodes from the 1970s and 1980s with emphasis on Terrance Dicks, the most prolific
author of that range. Features interviews with Terrance himself, plus writers Paul Cornell,
Gareth Roberts, Alan Barnes, and David Howe.
- Photo Gallery. An 8-minute compilation of photographic stills taken during the production.
- PDF Materials. Viewable by placing this disc in your computer’s optical drive, you can see PDF files
containing the Radio Times listings for these episodes from 1974, an 8-page BBC Enterprises
sales document for the benefit of overseas customers who might want to buy this story for their
own TV networks, and the production designer’s studio floor plan for the sets.
- 2 Easter Eggs. Highlight the area of blank text below to see what they are and how to find them.
1) From the Special Features menu, highlight the selection for Where Are They Now? and then press
the left arrow. A Doctor Who logo will appear. Click on this and you’ll see a 30-second segment
from a BBC News program from 1974 of Jon Pertwee racing Lord Montagu on tractors at what was
presumably a charity event.
2) From the Special Features menu, select PDF Materials. Once in the PDF Materials screen,
highlight Special Features (if it isn’t already) then press the right arrow. A Doctor Who logo will
appear. Click on this and you’ll get to hear five minutes of audio outtakes from the film sequences
from this story.