Serial: 4R Episode Nos. 444, 445, 446, and 447. Title: The Robots of Death
The TARDIS lands aboard a sandminer, where he and Leela immediately come under suspicion
for the murders of several of it's human crew members. What the crew seem too terrified to
realize is that the killings are being perpetrated by some of their vast number of robot servants.
A traitor in their midst believes robots are a superior life form, and thus all humans are to die...
starring Tom Baker as Doctor Who and Louise Jameson as Leela. Written by Chris Boucher,
Produced by Philip Hinchcliffe, and Directed by Michael E. Briant.
This DVD originally came out in 2001. This special edition contains most of the
content from the original DVD plus many new features. The features listed in italics
below are new to the Special Edition.
- All 4 episodes of the story digitally remastered and restored.
- Graphical menus, episode and scene selection features, and subtitles for the hearing
- 2 optional commentary tracks. Commentary 1 is from the 2001 edition with producer
Philip Hinchcliffe and writer Chris Boucher. Commentary 2 is new and features
actors Tom Baker, Louise Jameson, and Pamela Salem (Toos), and director
Michael E. Briant.
- The Sandmine Murders. A 32-minute making-of featurette with interviews with
actors Tom Baker, Louise Jameson, Pamela Salem, David Collings (Poul), and
Brian Croucher (Borg), producer Philip Hinchcliffe, costume designer Elizabeth
Waller, and director Michael E. Briant.
- Robophobia. A 12-minute featurette about comparing the history of robots in the
real and fictional worlds hosted by comedian Toby Hadoke.
- Studio Sound. A 1-minute scene from the story where the natural sound on the
take is played rather than that applied in post-production (particularly different
is the sound of the robot's voice.) This is a shortened version of a featurette on
the original release that included more very poor quality studio footage that has
been left out of this release.
- Model Shots. An 8-minute featurette showing unused footage of the models of
the sandminer and the landscape surrounding it.
- Studio Floor Plan. A browseable-with-your-remote display of the original floor plans
for the sets.
- Continuity. A 1-minute trailer used for the original 1977 broadcast.
- Information Text subtitles option. Displays pop-up production trivia throughout
- Coming Soon Trailer for the DVD of The Face of Evil.
- PDF Files. The Radio Times listings are available as a .pdf file if you put the disc
into a computer.
- There are two features that were in the original DVD release in 2001 not present
in this Special Edition. One is the simple "Who's Who" text biographies of the key
cast members. The other was a 20-minute featurette showing all of the introductions
and trailers narrated by Howard DaSilva used in the original Time-Life syndication
package in the