Serial: N Episode Nos. 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 and 63. Title: The Web Planet
The TARDIS is dragged down by an alien force that has invaded the planet
Vortis and driven away it's original inhabitants,
the butterfly-like Menoptera. The Doctor and his friends find that the only escape is to assist the Menoptera in their
attempt to retake the planet and overcome the ant-like Zarbi and their controller, the Animus.
starring William Hartnell as Dr. Who, William Russell as Ian Chesterton, Jacqueline Hill as Barbara Wright, and Maureen O'Brien as Vicki. Written by Bill Strutton, Produced by Verity Lambert, Directed by Richard Martin.
- All 6 episodes of this serial. Episodes are 25 minutes each.
- Episode selection and scene selection menus, and optional subtitles for the hearing impaired.
- Commentary track with actors William Russell (Ian Chesterton) and Martin Jarvis (Hilio), producer Verity Lambert,
and director Richard Martin. Moderated by Gary Russell.
- Optional Spanish soundtrack on the sixth episode.
- Information Text subtitles option. This plays pop-up production trivia throughout the story.
- 30-second trailer for the new series DVD box set starring Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper.
- “Lair of the Zarbi Supremo” A 1-hour audio-only feature where William Russell reads a short story from the 1966
Doctor Who Annual that tells the tale of the Doctor’s return visit to the planet Vortis following the events of
The Web Planet.
- Doctor Who Annual PDFs. Pop this DVD into a PC or laptop, and you can have a look at the entire 79-page
1966 Doctor Who Annual using Acrobat Reader. (Annuals are short story and artwork collections that were
sold in the year listed on the cover.)
- Give-A-Show Slides. In the 60s, “Give-a-Show” projectors were one way that children could have a Doctor Who
adventure in their own home and on-demand, much like
ViewMaster projectors in
is a series of 14 slides originally made for these projectors tells a very condensed version of the story of The Web Planet.
- “Tales of Isop” A new 38-minute featurette about the making of the story. It features interviews with actors
William Russell (Ian Chesterton), Maureen O’Brien (Vicki) and Martin Jarvis (Hilio), producer Verity Lambert,
director Richard Martin, designer John Wood, and make-up designer Sonia Markham.
- Photo Gallery. This displays a 7-minute reel of behind-the-scenes still photos.