I immediately started in on the car. The first thing I did was replace the headgasket and put on a Weber DGV carburetor. I had to have the car "mobile" so I could move it around as needed. I also took off the Datsun truck oil pan and put on a 610-specific oil pan. The truck pan was hitting the steering cross-link, the 610 pan has a special cut out for this. Luckily a friend of mine happened to have a 610 oil pan laying around! This also revealed about 2" of 12 year old oil sludge in the old oil pan.

I removed all the exterior trim and lights. I also removed the rear glass (without breaking it, thank god!) and smashed the front windshield out of it. Little did I know that a new windshield was going to be one of the hardest parts to find! This was the first car that Datsun starting doing "glue in" windshields.

Rust was a major issue around the front and rear windows in the glue channel, it took a very long time to repair. I cut out each rust section and welded in new metal and ground the welds smooth.

Other than this rust, there was not much more on the car.

I began stripping off all of the paint. The orignal color was an aqua metallic blue, and the car had been painted a darker blue over that. The later paint job was very poor quality and came off easily.

The hood had a million little dents in it, I had to have a professional smooth it out.

Paint was coming off, bondo was going on, rust being removed, it was a mad house!

Finally, ready to primer! Mark Clegg, fellow Datsun enthusiast spent countless hours helping with the body work and he did a great job.

The car was primered in stages. Each stage looked better and better.

 

Eventually the whole car was primered and finish sanded, ready for the painter. Oops, got a litle on the tire!

 

One week and pile of money later, it looked like this. The engine bay was not painted at this time.

PAGE 3 - Assembly