Assembly is always the fun part, and this car was no exception. I applied a lot of tricks from my mental library of 510 modifications.

Suspension:

The stock front struts off of the 610 were not worth saving. I opted to use front struts/brakes from a 280zx. I made an adjustable spring perch to fine tune ride height. The front springs are from a Hyundai Excel an are the same diameter as the 510/610 springs and a tad stiffer. Polyurethane bushings were installed in the front control arms and T/C rods. Teflon stainless steel braided brake hoses were used on all corners.

I modified the rear crossmember (slotted the control arm mounting holes) so that the negative camber would not be as bad when the car is lowered. I also enlarged the exhaust pass-through hole. The differential is a limited slip unit from a Subaru SVX. The 610 came with rear half-shafts that had male splined ends on them, this is different than the 510 half shafts which used a female splined interface. With the 610 half shafts it is possible to use any late model Subaru differential. All the rear suspension bushings were replaced with polyurethane ones.

The rear crossmember was mounted to the body with the stock rubber bushings and these modified washers, known in the 510 crowd as "Savage Washers". They reduce the amount of free play in the bushings for tighter handling. I would have used polyurethane bushings, but they were back ordered and several weeks out.

The rear brakes were converted to disc using Nissan Maxima calipers and 200sx rotors. This picture shows how the parking brake cable is routed to the caliper. A 7/8" master cylinder was also installed. The brackets for the rear disc brake conversion are available here: CLICK CLICK

The rear springs were sourced from a fellow 610 enthusiest and are Nissan Motorsports Euro 610 springs. I cut about 1-1/2 coils off to get the car to the height I wanted.

Interior:

The major interior change was the addition of a set of Recaro seats from a VW Rabbit GTi. They had the perfect retro/performance look I was after.

The dash was disassembled in order to remove the cracked dash pad.

The driver seat had to be reupholstered and the shop did a fantastic job.

I fabricated brackets to adapt the seats to the 610 slider assembly..

I picked up a blue-face OEM tachometer from a person in Australia. I also added an aftermarket power window kit to the rear side windows. I installed an Alpine CD player in the lower dash and kept the factory AM radio up top just for looks.

Exterior:

Finding pieces of trim, and other exterior tidbits was extremely hard. I searched everywhere on the internet and was able to gather just enough to get he car together.

Since a new grille was not availble, I repaired the split grille using a creative JB Weld and rebar solution.

 

The chrome trim around the tail lights was considerably hard to replace.

The windshield had to be replaced since I broke it trying to remove it from the car before painting. I spent several weeks calling auto glass suppliers all over the place. I finally stopped by an auto glass store in the Portland area while driving around, and asked them about a windshield for a Datsun 610. They said they would look into it and call me back. The next day they called and said there was one left on the entire west coast. I told them to order it immediately. A week later it was installed in the car. The original clips that hold the metal trim around the windshield were all rusted and gone. Luckily my local Nissan dealer was able to track down plastic clips that superceded the metal ones. I bought the last 25 in the North American Nissan system.

About 90% through the assembly process I stumbled upon another 610 on Craigslist, this time, it was 1973 (PL610) 2-door. I had to take a look......

PAGE 4 - The sacrificial parts car