My intention all along was to eventually do an engine swap, I am not a fan of carburetors, or single cam engines. After moving into a new house with a bigger garage, I was ready to tear into it. I had picked up a healthy and complete KA24DE/5-spd swap from a friend who's 240sx got rear-ended. It was a 1995 S14 (OBD I) model. I had lots of experience with this motor, having done a KA swap into a previous 510 and owning a 1997 240sx for a while.

At this point, the goal was to paint the engine bay, install the KA24DE, install the PL610 front and BMW projector headlights.

Out came the L-series, it was donated to a fellow Datsun enthusiest.

Here is the KA24DE ready to be cleaned up.

 

All the junk on the intake manifold had to come off.

I stripped the motor bare attacked it with degreaser and a wire brush.

I had lots of parts powder coated and reassembled it all with new hardware. I had the letters on the valve cover machined after the powder coating to give them a mirror finish. The stock exhaust manifold was ceramic coated black. I removed all the emission-related components, and anything else I was not going to need in the 610. Suprisingly, you can remove quite a lot parts from the engine and wiring harness and still have it run fine. Although, if I had installed a check engine light, it would definitely trigger it.

I stripped everything out of the engine bay and began welding up holes and seam-welding the body. I also removed the battery tray all the brackets in the engine for things that were no longer going to be there.

The BMW projector headlights require a lot of work to retrofit into a 610. They have a deep body on them for the low-beam projector. I also had to do major surgery on the headlight buckets for them to even hold the mammoth headlights.

Before the lights were installed, I thought it would be a good time to convert them to a "smoked" look. I found a "how-to" guide online and successfully converted them.

This is what the smoked lights look like on an E30 M3.

 

I had to cut cavities for the headlights and weld in pockets.

There were 73 holes in the engine bay that I welded up, it was like swiss cheese.

Here is a finished pocket all welded in place. As you can see the projector headlight fits perfectly.

I did all the body work on the passenger side fender, including welding closed the fender mirror holes. The driver side fender turned out to have a lot of hidden damage, so it was replaced with a fiberglass reproduction from http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com. Fitment of the fiberglass unit was an 8 out of 10. When trying to source 610 body parts, one cannot be picky.

This was a good time to test fit the grille from the parts car. This gave me an idea of what it might look like when done, and I was very happy with the direction it was going.

PAGE 7 - Assembly Continued