Cooking With Barbarians
Collection of some of my favorite recipes. Need to add some way to organize and find things. Side menu would help but PHP scripts would be even better. For now a date style entry will have to do. Can also convert each recipe to a PDF file and link to them. Adding in some nice pictures of Kveldulfr cooking over a stew pot (from in-game) would also be nice to scatter around the page.
6/24/12: Baked Penne & Meatlessballs
1 lb penne pasta (whole wheat, oat-bran or your favorite)
Packaged Meatless meatballs - or if energetic use the recipe below, I was lazy this time and got something premade.
2 Bell peppers
1 1/2 cups mushrooms (original called for onions but I make my stuff dog friendly)
minced garlic to taste
4 cups marina sauce
1-2 cups of grated smoked cheddar and mozzerella
Optional: 1 package spinach for extra veges.
Saute peppers, mushrooms and garlic in some EVOO. Cook pasta. Toss pasta, sauce and "meatballs". Pour into pan. Cover with "cheese" and bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes. With real cheese it looks like the picture I posted. I made a double batch.
MEDITERRANEAN LENTIL "MEATBALLS"
8 oz lentils or black beans precooked or drained/rinsed can
1/3 cup old fashioned oats
1 tsp minced garlic
1 TBS vegan Worcestershire sauce
1 TBL reduced sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup basil (fresh)
3-4 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup onion (or mushrooms)
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/4 kalamata olives
salt/pepper to taste
Oven at 375. Mix lentils, oats, garlic W. sauce, soy sauce, basil, tomatoes, onions/mushrooms, and mustard in blender or food processor. Pulse to make thick chunky batter. Stir in olives to taste. Form into 12 gold ball sized meatballs and put on cookie sheet. cook 20 minutes flipping once.
Could also fry in a little oil although going for healthy here!
6/18/12: Vegan Peanut Butter Blondies &
This is from the "Peas and Thank You" Cookbook by Sarah Mathney.
- 3/4 c. natural peanut butter
- 1/3 c. Earth Balance (vegan butter), softened
- 1/4 c. unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 c. unsweetened almond or soy milk (vanilla or plain)
- 1/2 c. packed organic brown sugar
- 2/3 c. organic sugar OR 2/3 c. NuNaturals Stevia Baking Blend
- 1/2 t. vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 c. whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- 1/2 t. salt
- 2 chocolate bars (vegan 88% pure cocoa)
- 4 oz. extra firm silken tofu
- 1/2 t. vanilla extract
- splash of almond or soy milk, if needed
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, cream together peanut butter and Earth Balance.
Add in brown sugar, white sugar or stevia, vanilla, applesauce and milk and beat until fluffy. In a smaller bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add a little at a time to the peanut butter mixture until incorporated. Spread mixture in the bottom of an 8×8 pan (sprayed with cooking spray). Bake for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, melt chocolate chips in the microwave or in a double boiler. Cream melted chocolate with tofu, vanilla and milk, if needed. Let blondies cool entirely before spreading with the chocolate ganache and cutting into squares. Keep refrigerated.
6/7/2102: Vegan Morning Glory Muffins
From "Vegan Comfort Food" by Alicia C. Simpson. The cook-book called them "Carrot and Raisin Muffins" but they are far closer to morning glory muffins. I altered the recipe a bit (of course) but below is the original and my notes. These are really, really good and moist.
Preheat Over to 400 and line muffin tins (12 muffins) or spray/grease with oil.
In large bowl mix the following:
- 1/2 cup unbleached flour (I used whole wheat)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed (I used 1/4 cup wheat germ and 1/4 cup millet flour)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (I used 1 tsp)
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
Optional: I also added 1/2 tsp allspice for more spicy-ness)
1/3 cup vegan sugar (I used 1/2 cup + 2 TBSP vegan brown sugar as I like MG muffins sweet and dark)
Make a well in the middle of the dry stuff and then add:
- 1 cup soy, oat, hemp or almond milk (coconut milk would also work)
- 1/4 cup canola oil (I used coconut oil)
- 1 tsp Vanilla
Mix until no more lumps. Then fold in the following:
- 2 cups grated carrots (I used carrots and zucchini)*
- 3/4 cup raisins (soaked in warm water for 10 minutes and drained)
- 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts (I used 3/4 cup walnuts)
If texture seems a little moist add a little more flour or add some oats (which is what I did - needed about a 1/4 cup). If dry add a little more "milk" or oil. Fill muffin tins (my recipe made 12). Bake about 20 minutes or till toothpick comes out clean (mine went 22 minutes).
* I didn't want to grate two cups of veges so I just roughly chopped about a cup of carrots and a cup of zucchini. I then put it in the blender with the cup of oat milk and pulsed it a few times.