MCNEIL Family History, Part II
Alma H. JOHNSON (1890-1918)
Ida J. JOHNSON (1894-1918)
Peter JOHNSON (~1895-1898)
Daisy Loretta (JOHNSON) HOPKINS (1898-1990)
1K1. Daisy Loretta Johnson was born on March 31, 1898, in California, likely in Mariposa County. She was likely named in remembrance of her maternal aunt Daisy Converse, who died in childhoon. Daisy married Floyd Valentine Hopkins (Sr.), a native of York County, Nebraska, about 1920 and had two sons:
|1K11.||Jack Rogers Hopkins||28 Dec 1920||30 Mar 2006||(85)|
|1K12.||Floyd J. Hopkins, Jr.||16 May 1922||19 Feb 2008||(85)|
Prior to their marriage, Daisy worked as an accountant at a cannery in Coulterville.[Cen 1920A] Floyd worked as a rivet heater at the Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation, Ltd., in Alameda County, California, during World War I,[Draft 1918] and after the war he worked as a fireman at a milk condensery in Modesto, Stanislaus County, California.[Cen 1920B]
After their marriage, the Hopkins started their family in Modesto, Stanislaus County, but by 1930 they moved south to Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, where they resided at 1437 West 58 Place, in South Los Angeles.[Cen 1930]
They likely moved to Kern County by 1940 and at some point divorced.
Floyd remarried to a woman named Emma.
Floyd Valentine Hopkins died on September 6, 1960, in Bakersfield, Kern County, California. He was 61 years old. Floyd was buried at Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Glendale, Los Angeles County.
Daisy Loretta (Johnson) Hopkins died on December 28, 1990 in Santa Clara County, California. She is buried at Modesto Citizens Cemetery in Modesto, where her parents are buried.
- Cen 1900: 16 Jun 1900 Census, Bull Creek, Mariposa County, California
- Cen 1910: 7 May 1910 Census, Township 2 (Coulterville), Mariposa County, California
- Draft 1918: 12 Sep 1918, World War I Draft Registration, Oakland, Alameda County, California
- Cen 1920A: 20 Feb 1920 Census, Township 2 (Coulterville), Mariposa County, California
- Cen 1920B: 26 Mar 1920 Census, Paradise Precinct, Modesto, Stanislaus County, California
- Cen 1930: 11 Apr 1930 Census, 1437 West 58 Place, Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California
Peter Carl JOHNSON (1904-1993)
1K2. Peter "Pete" Carl Johnson was born on April 29, 1904, in California, likely in Mariposa County. He married Opal Mae McKinley, a native of Missouri, on July 2, 1928. They had two daughters:
|1K21.||Dorothy Mae Johnson||25 Dec 1929||28 Apr 2013||(83)|
The Johnson family lived in Salinas, Monterey County, California, and later moved north to the East Bay at Alameda, Alameda County.
Peter and Opal later divorced in 1948, a few months after their 20th anniversary.
Opal Mae (McKinley) Johnson died on November 28, 1986, in Salinas. She was 77 years old.
Peter later lived in Turlock, Stanislaus County, California.
Peter Carl Johnson died on January 11, 1993, in Tuolumne County, California, and is believed to be buried at Modesto Citizens Cemetery in Modesto, Stanislaus County, along with his sister and parents; however, the absence of a death year on his headstone introduces doubt as to whether or not he is actually buried there. Peter was 88 years old.
- Cen 1910: 7 May 1910 Census, Township 2, Mariposa County, California
- Cen 1920: 20 Feb 1920 Census, Township 2 (Coulterville), Mariposa County, California