Passover Sponge Cake
Spicy orange, lemon, brandy or other flavorings. Good any time of year.
Slice of Cake showing texture
This is one of the best recipes for Passover sponge cake. It has a great texture, nice flavor, almost always comes out right, and stays fresh for several days. This cake is baked in a 10 inch tube pan or you can cut the recipe into thirds and bake in a 6 inch mini-spring form pan. If you do not celebrate Passover you can make this gluten-free cake dessert anytime.
Spicy Sponge Cake
||Eggs Separated, at room temperature
||Egg, at room temperature
||White sugar (could be vanilla sugar)
||Any of the following liquids: orange juice, strong coffee, passover brandy or regular brandy
||Grated orange peel (optional)
||Sifted Passover potato starch
||Finely ground nuts - almond or hazel
||Ginger, nutmeg, salt
|1/2 or more
|1/2 to 1
||(optional) Vanilla extract (lf your Passover kitchen uses vanilla extract or else you can use vanilla sugar)
- Into the work bowl of a stand mixer, beat sugar and egg yolks, plus the whole egg until light and frothy..
- Blend in the liquid (orange juice, coffee, brandy) and the peel-if using-into the egg mixture. If you are using vanilla extract, add at this point..
- In a separate bowl, combine potato starch, nut meal, salt and spices. Mix with a whisk.
- Blend potato starch mixture into the egg mixture
- Remove this egg mixture to another large bowl and wash the beaters and the work bowl. Dry thoroughly.
- Put the egg whites into the freshly cleaned work bowl of the mixer. Beat the egg whites until firm peaks form. If you make this other than at passover, you can add 1/2 t. cream of tartar with the egg whites.
- Fold 1/4 of the egg whites into the yolk mixture using a rubber or silicon spatula. Do not over-fold.
- Gently fold in the remaining egg whites
- Pour gently into an ungreased 10 inch tube pan
- Bake at 350° F for 45 minutes or until a wood pick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Invert the pan immediately and allow to cool thoroughly. Store upside down until you are ready to un-mold. You can place the center of the upside down pan over the neck of a full wine bottle to cool it.
- To remove from the pan, run a long sharp knife around the center tube and the sides of the pan. Pull the tube and bottom cake plate up from the pan. Next run the knife around the bottom cake plate and raise the cake over the pan bottom. Place the cake on the serving plate and sprinkle with Passover confectioners' sugar. Makes approximately 12 slices.
- Delicious with sliced strawberries and orange sauce.