Oat Pilav in the skillet
Gluten free steel cut oats are not just for breakfast. Oats is a nutritious grain, and it produces a flavorful and chewy pilaf for lunch or dinner. This recipe used 1/2 cup of steel cut oats for 2 servings, but you can adjust the amount to suite.
- To 1/2 cup of steel cut oats, add 3/4 cup of chicken broth. Cover, bring to a boil, and simmer on low for about 20 minutes or for the time you usually cook steel cut oats. Add garlic powder or minced garlic, a sprinkle of vegetable bullion, and pepper to taste.
- When the oats no longer taste starchy but still have tooth, add approximately 1/2 of a chopped fresh roma tomato, 2 chopped scallions and a few currants or chopped raisins. Of course you can add other vegetables.
- Stir occasionally while the pilav is simmering for an additional 10 minutes or until the onions and tomatoes are cooked.
- You may want to add a tablespoon or two of chicken broth if you think the pilav is too dry.
- This pilav is good the next day and heats well in a microwave oven.