Available Now from McFarland:
Booking Hawaii Five-O: An Episode Guide andCritical
History by Karen Rhodes
- A brief history of Hawaii Five-O
- How it was created
- How it made its way to the small screen and stayed there for 12 years
- Where it fits in the police/detective genre
- How it reflected American society in the period 1968-1980
- Reviews of each episode
- Complete cast listings and production credits
- Trivia, continuity errors, and in-jokes
- Behind the scenes:
- "Mellow Yellow"
- How the star almost lost his job
- How politics affected Five-O (or tried to)
- Production costs
- Analysis of the elements that made Hawaii Five-O so popular
- A glossary of some of the Hawaiian words and phrases heard on the
With a forward by Rose Freeman, widow of Leonard Freeman, creator of Hawaii
Here is what Mrs. Freeman has to say about Booking Hawaii Five-O:
"Mahalo and aloha to Karen Rhodes for her passion and dedication in completing
a history of Hawaii Five-O. I am now her biggest fan. A
history that has been approached with love and unbelievable dedication. If
it wasn't there, she didn't write it. She got it right and I am grateful
to her for sifting out the truth."
Illustrations, appendices, comprehensive index. Total pages 333. Now in paperback.
Order online from the publisher,
McFarland, or from
(Let the buyer beware)
It has come to my attention that exorbitant prices are being asked for copies of
the hardback version of Booking Hawaii Five-0, sometimes ranging into the
hundreds of dollars! Don't pay such ridiculous prices. It's not
necessary for you to shell out big bucks many cannot really afford to have a
copy. The paperback is a trade paperback, hardy enough to stand up to a fan's use,
printed on good quality paper.
See a sample of contents!
Thanks to Mark Musante, who set this up on his website (with permission
from the publisher and from me).
There are some errors . . . small ones . . . and here are the "fixes" for them:
- On page 206, the listing for "The Friends of Joey Kalima" (episode #218)
shows an original air date of 10/20/77. This is incorrect; the original air date for
this episode was 10/13/77. (The embarrassing thing is, it's correct in my notes!)
- On page 217, the episode title for #234 is given as "Invitation to a Murder.
" It should be "Invitation to Murder." (Take out the article "a.
- Barry Bostwick and Victoria Principal got left out of the index! Find them on page 235, in
the episode "Year of the Horse."
Send e-mail to Karen Rhodes: email@example.com. NOTE: This is not an active
"mailto" link. You must cut and paste the address into your e-mail program. Sorry
for the small inconvenience, but I'm trying to avoid the "spambots!" Ask
me questions, I'll do my best to answer. Might even post them here
(with the questioner's permission, of course).
See what readers are saying about Booking Hawaii Five-O in their e-mail
Return toKaren Rhodes Home Page
Check out Ratings of Five-O Episodes