The Woman’s Club of Danbury/New Fairfield, Inc.
(WCDNF) was founded in 1982 by 20 civic-minded charter members. It is a non-sectarian, non-partisan, non-profit organization whose object is to unite women in the community in fellowship for the advancement of education and charitable affairs. This goal is achieved by promoting volunteer service and common interests in civic, cultural, and educational programs. Fellowship activities include museum trips, luncheons, bridge, golf and tennis groups, book and movie discussion groups and many other activities.
WCDNF is interested in making a difference in people’s lives. All members assist in raising funds to donate to community projects. Since 1982, the
community has received over $483,230 in scholarships, donations and awards from the Philanthropic Committee.
Some examples of specific philanthropic projects include: A Dream Auction for The Arts benefited five area arts organizations: the Charles Ives Center for The Arts, The Danbury Music Center, Candlewood Playhouse, Scott-Fanton Museum and the Richter Association for the Arts. A Designer Showcase was held at Tarrywile Mansion. The mansion was refurbished into a community center with a renovated kitchen, security system, and new furnishings. Annual garden parties raised additional money to renew the historical gardens at Tarrywile.
Recent poinsettia sales have enabled the Club to respond generously to the needs of the community. Financial support has been given to many agencies including the Women’s Center of Greater Danbury, the Hanahoe Clinic, Literacy Volunteers, I Can – Ann’s Place, WCSU Child Care Center, the His-panic Center of Greater Danbury, Save the Children, Operation Smile, Girl Scouts, and the Libraries and Senior Centers of both Danbury and New Fair-field, among others.
Emphasizing education, WCDNF
awards scholarships to area high school graduates and has sponsored students for the Hugh O’Brien Youth Foundation
Seminar and is currently sponsoring Laurel Girls State. Total value of these scholarships is over
WCDNF is a member of the General Federation of Women’s Clubs. Founded in 1890, it is one of the world’s largest and oldest women’s volunteer service organizations. From its beginning over a century ago, the organization has grown to about 6,500 federated clubs in the United States and has over one million members worldwide. The General Federation of Women’s Clubs of Connecticut was founded in 1897.
Our Club now enjoys an active membership of approximately
170 women and is looking forward to continuing its tradition of outstanding service to the community.