History of Hudson Dealerships
Mayton & Wagner Sales and Service, 124 Kiehl Street (side street from the main street within two blocks of "Aliquippa's Y" which was the main entrance to the Jones and Laughlin Steel Mill). In business from 1946 to the end of Hudson in 1957.
Pictured was advertised as an Italian Collecton of the "Banthrico Autobank Car" group, a metal promotional toy car coin bank. From left to right, first one unknown, County National Savings Bank, People's Bank & Trust Co, and Mayton & Wagner.
Click here to view historical pictures and information of Aliquippa.
Mierley Motor Co, 115 Union Ave, Altoona, PA started out as a NASH/HUDSON dealership in 1949 and ended as an American Motors store in 1983. Click here to view a Javelin invoice and more!.
Ardmore/Bryn Mawr, PA:
Wm. C. Wilcutts, 373 or 575 Lancaster Ave?, intersection of Ardmore Ave & Lancaster Ave, Ardmore, PA. Photo circa 2001. Building was torn down in 2009 to rationalize the intersection. Was in business during at least 1946 and possibly through 1954.
Aumiller's Garage in Beaverton, PA
After his Honorable Seperation from the U.S. Army after his WWI overseas tour, Charles Aumiller built this garage at the East end of town. This snapshot was taken about 1920. It is hard to see, but the high sign says HUDSON-ESSEX. Also, notice the car to the right of the photo. Charles was easy going and extended too much credit, and was forced out of business in 1930, when Guy Narehood and Dave Rowe bought this business and named it the Super Service Garage.
In 1946, after WWII, Charles Aumiller open a Sunoco gas station which he called the "West End Service Station", and continued to operate this franchise in Beavertown until 1951. It was located in a nice one story building which is now 520 West Market Street. He also operated another Sunoco station in Middleburg during 1947 and 1948.
Beaver Auto Sales, Beaver at New Buckley St, Bristol, PA
Deacon Motor Sales, 1 Dick Street, Carnegie, PA. Picture shows a lineup of new 1955 Hudsons.
Benke Motor Co., Tarentum and Culmerville, PA. In photo, John C. Benke, dealer, poses with Albert Sabatini, Chief of Police. This is listed under Tarentum, PA as well.
James R. Oliver, 25 Main St. For many years one of the best known figures in automotive circles in Northeastern Pennsylvania, James R. Oliver of Dallas this week became a dealer of new Hudson and Terraplane automobiles. Mr. Oliver is also a dealer for Packards. - Clipped from The Dallas Post, February 11, 1938. At the James R. Oliver car dealership in Dallas, a brand new 1940 Hudson Six sold for $670. - Clipped from The Dallas Post, October 18, 1939. Automobile glass and milady’s complexion are beautified by the same substance – rouge. In the window glass department at the Hudson Motor Car Company in Detroit, a rouge-filled felt wheel is used to polish out small scratches incurred during shipment of the safety glass for one of the Hudsons being readied for shipment to James R. Oliver, Dallas. - Clipped from The Dallas Post, January 24, 1940.
W.E.Naylor Garage, 860 Main St. Duryea, PA. Click here for pictures of the dealership!
C.O. Birkland Motor Co., May have also been refered to as Birkland Auto. Circa 1948? The facility evolved into a Yale and Towne Forklift Garage with a Body shop Business out back until around 1970, then it sat empty a few years until being torn down for a new block development.
Hodges Motors, corner of Bethlehem Pike & Haws Lane, Flourtown, PA. The building was erected in 1930 and the earliest business dates to 1931, being operated as the Erdenheim Garage, although wether it operated as Hudson at that time is uncertain. It was bought by Franklin and Violet Hodges in 1945 and they operated it as Hodges Motors until 1951 when it was sold to Adolf Lindquist. Lindquist coverted the building into the 8-lane "Flour Bowl" bowling alley. In 1961 a larger bowling alley in Flourtown put the Flour Bowl out of business, and Mr. Lindquist converted the building into the "Comet" Car wash, which opened in 1962. In 1969, he rented the building out to another car wash operator, who bought him out at the end of his lease in 1971. It has remained a car wash to this day.
Feussner, 200 East South Street, Freeland, PA. Opened in 1945 doing mechanical work and also selling used cars. Became Hudson dealer from 1949 to 1954. In 1954, became a Ford dealer and still operated to this day in the same location. Visit their website for an expanded history!
Green Motor Co., 5301 Greene St. at Queen Lane, Germantown, PA.
Glassport Central Garage, 502-504 Monongahela Avenue, Circa 1938-1951. Advertised in the high school year book during at least 1943, 1944, and 1953 (per Glassport Business History)>.
Beehner's Garage, 720 West Newton Street, Greensburg, PA.
Wildasin's Garage, 298 Frederick St., Hanover, PA
Roy Bhame, Harmony, PA. Open for business in at least 1928.
Fawber's Garage Hudson Sales and Service, 4580 Jonestown Road, Harrisburg, PA. In the mid to late 1960's it became 4610 Jonestown Road. After the Hudson garage, it later became a Rambler and AMC dealership which ended around 1970 when AMC cut back on dealarships. Click here to view the invoice of a brand new 1953 Hudson Wasp (4C) Sedan sold to this dealership for their inventory! The building hasn't changed much and currently exists as a Tires Plus.
Harrison City, PA:
Harrison City Garage. Circa 1930-1937. Possibly as early as 1921.
A. L. Westbrook, 517-519 Mifflin Street. Click here to view invoices from dealership!
Marcus Motors, 20 South Fifth St., Indiana, PA. (From a '55 Hudson Rambler new model invitation.)
Sahady Motor Service/ Sahady Garage, Pine & Green St. (Current address known as 1432 Jefferson Road) Circa 1950?-1953?. Continued to sell other cars through 1960. Bulding later became Yanak Lanes bowling alley.
N.O. Smith Garage, 945 Franklin St., Johnstown, PA.
Huson-Bender Co.. In The Hudson Triangle Vol 7 No 33 of Feb 9, 1918, the company reported, "that in their territory they have sold many Hudsons to coal minters. Their increased earnings enable them to go to work mornings in their Super-Sixes."
Bridgeport Garage, Lincoln Highway East, Lancaster, PA
Other Hudson dealerships in Lancaster, PA included:
D. Wilbur Ranck Garage, 300-316 E. King Street, Lancaster, PA (1923 Automobile Blue Book/touring guide)
Irvin H. Nolt, W. King St., Lancaster, PA. Circa mid to late 1940s.
D.K. Wissler, 215 Cumberland Street, Lebanon, PA. Dealer Name: David K. Wissler. Photo circa 2001 during a HET club excursion. Click here to view on Google Maps or visit RoadsideArchitecture.com to view a similar photo of this building. (That site also features a photo of Miller Motors in Ypsilanti, MI.)
Rives Motor Sales, 321 Depot St. Photo circa 1951, courtesy of Ed Souers.
Dzusth & Kistler, RD #3, Lehighton, PA
Briner's Motor Co., Loysville, PA.
Carson Motor Co, 400 north main street. Current owner, Butch Arnold, has had possession of it since 1976. His father bought it from the original owner Andrew Caruso Sr. Hudsons an Essex were sold from this location from 1909 to 193? and then went into Pontiac sales. It is now known as Del Arnold's Auto Sales.
Mt. Pleasant Mills, PA:
Guy's Auto Sales, corner of 18th and West Streets, Munhall, PA.
New Castle, PA:
Castle Motors, New Castle, PA. In photo, Sander Rubenson, dealer, poses with Abbie Neal and her Ranch Girls, radio and TV performers. The girls drove about in a Jet and a Hornet to attract prospect attention to the dealership.
Penn Argyl, PA:
O.E. LaBar's, Penn Argyl, PA.
This legendary Hudson auto dealer stayed open with the neon sign lit and new cars in the showroom until 1985 when he died. He had been through it all with the Hudson line from the beginning through AMC, etc.
Gomery-Schwartz, 2400 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA. The building at 2400 Market Street was constructed in 1916 by Gomery-Schwartz Motor Car Company who were Hudson-Essex distributors for the Philadelphia area. Gomery-Schwartz had been involved with Hudson since 1911, soon after the company was founded, and seem to have been one of the most active Hudson distributors. The lot on which the building was placed was vacant in 1915 and briefly considered for the proposed Convention Hall later built on Civic Center Boulevard in West Philadelphia and now demolished. 2400 was designed as a service station and receiving point for Hudson cars shipped by rail from the manufacturer in Detroit. It was never used for assembly. Gomery-Schwartz occupied two or three floors and rented out the remainder of the building. The customers service entrance with up and down ramps can be seen in the Market Street photo and the small sign above carries the familiar Hudson triangle logo. Contemporary news reports describe it as “a factory with mountains of materials and an army of employees turning out 2000 cars per year.” The owner’s name was changed to Guaranty Investment soon after it was occupied but that entity was probably a part of Gomery-Schwartz.
In 1917 Gomery-Schwartz erected a ten-story building with 300,000 square feet on automobile row at the northwest corner of N. Broad and Cherry Streets as a sales room and storage garage to serve their chain of dealers in Philadelphia and perhaps surrounding New Jersey. (See clipping from The Hudson Triangle, vol. 6, no. 7, April 7, 1917). On completion it was briefly occupied by the military until the armistice, then returned to the owner. It has recently been restored and converted to classrooms and exhibition space as the Hamilton Building by the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts.
A 1921 Hudson advertisement specifies: Sales Room – 128-140 North Broad Street, Service Station – 2400-2414 Market Street.
Frank H. Caven Motors, Inc., Philadelphia, PA. Circa 1946.
Frank Goetter & Sons, Oxford Ave, Philadelphia, PA. Circa 1946.
Harmon Motor Car Co, 1021 or 1621 Snyder Ave., Philadelphia, PA. Circa 1946.
McFadden Motor Co, Ridge Ave, Philadelphia, PA. Circa 1946.
Swirsding Motors, Inc., Frankford Ave, Philadelphia, PA
Brentwood Motor Co., 2725 Brownsville Rd. (Carrick). Circa 1929. (Per Pittsburgh Press of Dec 1, 1929.)
Brentwood Motor Co., 414 Brownsville Rd. Circa 1929. (Per Pittsburgh Press of Dec 1, 1929.)
Burgwin-Herron Hudson-Essex, Photo circa 1926, note Burgwin Herron Motor Co on window by door. Photo description had "location unknown" but I believe this was in Pittsburgh. The Oct 7, 1921
"Workmen's Compensation Supplement to Department Reports of Pennsylvania" Vol 7, page 2174 under "Secretary of the Commonwealth" "Charters Issued" lists "Burgwin-Herron Motor co., Pittsburgh, $5,000, R.T. Rossell, 747 Union Arcade". Rossell may have been a lawyer and 747 Union Arcade was the address of lawyers firm? Also, view a patent..
Dale Motor Co., 434 Penn Ave. (Wilkinsburg) Circa 1929. (Per Pittsburgh Press of Dec 1, 1929.)
Dohler Bros., 2501 Brighton Rd. Circa 1929. (Per Pittsburgh Press of Dec 1, 1929.)
Dormont Motor Co., 2875 W. Liberty Ave. (Dormont) Circa 1929. (Per Pittsburgh Press of Dec 1, 1929.)
H & T Motors,3862 East Street, Pittsburgh, PA. Also referred to as H & T Motor Service? In photo, an engineer for Westinghouse Electric Company Laboratories in Trafford, PA sits undisturbed in a Hudson Jet supplied by H & T Motors as a Million volts of man made lightning striked the car.
Jones-Lyne Motor Company, Pittsburgh, PA. A 15 minute car wash was installed by this dealership in 1953 as a merchandising technique.
Kampas Motors, 1202 East St. Circa 1929. (Per Pittsburgh Press of Dec 1, 1929.)
Liberty Motor Sales, possibly at 3013-39 Liberty Ave.
Oakbrook Auto Garage, 1333 Lancaster Ave., Reading, PA May have also been located at 145 S. 8th Street at some point?
Henry D. Carver, Reamstown, PA. (At least 1946.)
Rice's Landing, PA:
Sharpnack Motor Co. and Clarchick Motor Co., 149 Main St., Rice's Landing, PA. The property was purchased by Anson Sharpnack in 1922 for the purpose of erecting the building to house Sharpnack Motors, a Hudson dealership. Although the Sharpnack family owned the building until 1968, when it ceased operation as an auto dealership, the business itself was sold in 1943 to the chief mechanic, Josepeh Clarchick. It was then renamed Clarchick Motor Co. which sold the Hudson brand until the merge and then continued on as an American Motors dealer under the brand of Nash/Rambler. The current owner of the building is in the process of restoring it! Click here for more pictures and history of the dealership(s)! Suggested Sites: Burough Officials and Ten Mile Creek Blogspot
Glass & Whitman, Address Unknown, years of business unknown.
Laemlein's Hudson and Essex Service Garage, 37 Delevan St., Rochester, PA
Driesbach Garage, Dock Street
Lackawanna Automobile Co., 501 Wyoming Ave, Scranton, PA. H.M. Spencer may have been dealer or just a salesman. On page 349 of 1912 Automobile Blue Book, vol. 3 at 314 Adams Ave. as stocking meichelin Tires. Listed in December 1912 The Commercial Vehicle as a Packard, Chalmers, & REO Exhibiter at a Forthcoming Motor Vehicles Show. Listed under new Agencies in February 10, 1915 copy of The Horseless Age as a Saxon dealer. Mentioned on page 732 of the 1919 Industrial directory of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania without reference to makes sold. Appeared in 1946 Lackawanna Jurist: vol. 47 in a judgement case of Lackawanna Auto Co. vs. Richards.
Wein Motor Co., 1193 E. State Street, Sharon, PA. From the December 1953 Hudson Dealer News, the picture is of the dealerships closing room with photos of customers on the walls. Dealership owner Ed Wein said this builds wonderful customer relations. When asked why he values his Hudson franchise, Ed points up the profit value of his Hudson franchise first. But he also declares, "I've enjoyed the splendid co-operationg given me by HudsonSales Corporation and the Hudson factory. This has enable me to work without undue pressure on the purchases of new cars, parts or equipment. hudson'sdivesified line enables me to cover 94% of the market price-wise. No other line in the industry affords us as salesmen so many desireable selling features to help close deals. Hudson has its sights set high, so do I and w're going places together." Ralph Sheasley, Pittsburgh Zone Manager, declared Ed Wein one of the most aggressive dealers in the zone. Click here for expanded story and more photos of this dealership!
Klein-Paper Motor Co., 915-917 Main St.
East Smethport, PA:
Cleveland Garage, Main St., East Smethport, PA. Listed as selling Hudson & Terraplane per Motor magazine, Volume 66, 1936, where Robert A. Cleveland gives advice on carburetors. Still open in 1956 per matchbook! There was a Mr. Duffy that raced the Cleveland Garage Hudson Hornet #143 at the McKean County Raceway in the early fifties. (The race track is still in operation since its reopening in 1983 after a 30 year hiatus.) It's rumored that a 1954 Hudson Hornet still sees occasional Pace Car duties at the raceway, but not sure if it's the same #143. The 1952 Hudson Hornet of Smethport’s Chuck McKeirnan was a part of the show at McKean County Raceway while they were celebrating its 25th Anniversary.
W.L. Gardner, Bustleton Ave & Warwick St. (13033 Bustleton), Somerton, PA. Website viewer J.Q provided the image and following story: "I worked here during high school in 1979 when Andrew Garder (retired) would still come in to the shop almost daily. The shop, A.J. Gardner and Son run by his son Bill Gardner was a general repair shop. They fixed anything foreign and domestic. At one time in the 80's Bill had an old Hudson Hornet parked behind the shop. I don't know what happened to it. I stayed friends with one of the long time mechanics who knew much of the old history of this Hudson dealership and was supposedly partnered with the Hudson dealership on Frankford Ave. Bill Gardner sold the business and building sometime around 2005 to a fruit vender only months prior to when these pictures were taken. The shop was gutted along with all of the old original interior and history. The fruit vender went out of business and now (2013) the building is empty.
Triangle Motor Co., 115 n fifth street or 54 Vine street, Sunbury, PA.
Ollin Motors, Inc., R.D. 2
In business during at least the Jet years.
Benke Motor Co., Tarentum and Culmerville, PA. In photo, John C. Benke, dealer, poses with Albert Sabatini, Chief of Police. This is listed under Culmerville, PA as well.
Leeser Motor Co,
Don R. Maiden Motors, 243 or 245 E. Lancaster Ave., Wayne, PA.
Raymond J. Smith, 6th & Church St., Waynesboro, PA.
Leland Lewis Hudson Sales and Service, US Route 6, Wellsboro, PA. In business from 1946-1954. Click here for more pictures and information!
West Chester, PA:
Chester County Auto Sales, 306 East Gay Street, West Chester, PA. Offered Sales, Parts, & Service. In business during at least 1946.
A.F. Grove, York, PA. Announced as new dealer in The Hudson Triangle, Vol.1 Number 8, December 2, 1911.
R.C. Keller, 722 W. Market St., York, PA. Photo shows the back side of a small mirror. Click here for pictures of this dealership and more York automobile history.
Snyder Automobile Co., 229-231 W. Market St., York, PA. The dealership ad for Snyder's is from the R.L. Polk & Co. York City Directory for 1952. You can see it was also a White truck dealership and garage. White trucks (Snyder) eventually moved to S. Queen St. The truck business finally closed years ago and is now a regular truck repair/garage/parts business. Click here for pictures of this dealership and more York automobile history.
Hope Motors, Bristol, R.I. In photo, James St. Angelo of Hope Motors talks over economy of the Jet with Sgt. Euclid Demars of the Bristol, R.I. Police Department. Click here to view more pictures of the dealership.
Wright's Garage,corner of Carolina Back Rd. & Alton Carolina Rd., Carolina, RI. H.L. Wright sold Hudson's dating back to the '20's before becoming a American Motors lot. The first photo is circa 1941-42. They also sold Desoto-Plymouth at the time, but sold far more Hudsons. The picture on the right is circa 1972. Although the AMC sign is on the other side of the building, a Hudson sign also remains against the wishes of AMC. The color photos are current.
Parent's Sales & Service, 1455 Oaklawn Avenue. Dealer Name: Jerry Parent. Circa 1949.
East Providence, RI:
Adams's Sales & Service, 317-319 Warren Avenue. Owned by Chester Adams. Circa 1949.
Rock Motors, 41 Mill Street. Dealer Name: Amy A. Sassi. Circa 1949.
North Providence, RI:
Uptown Hudson Sales & Service, 1385 Mineral Spring Avenue. Owned by Peter Caranci. Circa 1949.
E.P. Fournier Co., 939 Newport Ave. Dealer Name: Ernest Fournier. Circa 1949.
Knowles Station Inc., 393 Smithfield Ave. Dealer Name: George Knowles. Circa 1949.
Harris Auto Sales, Providence, RI. Featured in Hudson Dealers News of December 1953.
Kirby Shallen, Inc., 79 Elmood Avenue. Owned by Howard Kirby and Avery Shallen. Circa 1949.
Fred O. Bishop, 9 Post Road, Edgewood Station. Owned by Fred O. Bishop. Circa 1949.
West Warwick, RI:
Moore's Motor Service, Inc., 487 Washington Street. Owned by Willard Moore. Circa 1949.
Custer Motor Sales Co., 330 Social Street. Owned by Leo Custer. Circa 1949.
Little Motor Co., De Kalb St., Camden, SC (Also sold Franklin.) (1926 Auto Blue Book/touring guide)
Black-Frasier Motor Car Co.
Ahmed Etem, 10 Pine Street, Deadwood, South Dakota. In 1929 Ahmed opened his own car dealership on Mill Street in Lead, South Dakota where he did business until 1935 when the Homestake Mine condemned his property in because underground mining was causing sinkholes. He pulled up stakes and moved the dealership to Deadwood. Completed in 1936, Ahmed's new Hudson-Terraplane dealership on Pine Street was open for business until the end of World War II. In 1946 Ahmed sold the building to the Safeway chain of grocery stores. It was later purchased and restored by the Deadwood VFW chapter, which continues to use the building. click here for more history.
Norwich Motor Company
Sioux Falls, SD:
Cockburn Motor Co., 310 So. 1st Ave., Sioux Falls, SD. Postcard circa 1948.
Sioux Falls, SD:
John P. Bleeg Co., 312 West Ninth, Sioux Falls, SD. Advertisement circa 1917.
Sioux Falls, SD:
Soo Hudson, 10th & Dakota St., Sioux Falls, SD. In business from at least 1946-1948.
Other dealerships in Sioux Falls, SD included:
Van Brunt-Crossman Co
Hudson Sales & Service Co., Inc., 18 First St. SW. From around 1949-1956.
Bacon Motor Co., Main Street, Greenville, TN (Also sold Hupmobile) (1923 Automobile Blue Book/touring guide)
Toomey, U.S. 27, Helenwood, TN. Shown is a picture of a license "topper" used to advertise their business.
Downtown Hudson Sales, Memphis, TN. In photo, Downtown Hudson found that the public view is sure key to sales. They displayed both a 1954 Jet and a 1954 Hornet in the lobby of the Chisca Hotel, in the center of the city. They attribute an excellent roster of prospects to their public viewing. Also referred to as Downtown Motor Sales. Leland Lowry and W.F. South were featured signing for the dealership in the 12-7-53 Automotive News.
Old Hickory, TN:
Rayon City Motor Company, Bridgeway Ave. Ad circa 1940. Note that Rayon City is now part of Old Hickory, TN.
Lone Star Motors, Inc., 620 Tyler St., Amarillo, TX. In business from at least 1947-1951. Click here for more pictures and information.
W.E. Groendycke Per 1916 Hudson Service Inspection Book.
T.R. Richey Per 1916 Hudson Service Inspection Book.
Thomson Motor Co. Per 1916 Hudson Service Inspection Book.
Richards Motor Co, College St (Hwy 90), Beaumont, TX. Deihl(?) traveled much of the Southwest. The banner on the dealerships says, "It's a Wonder Car, New Hudson Jet," placing this photo circa 1953-54. Only a portion of the building remains but the utility pole and mailbox persist.
J.J. Catron and R.G. Alexander Per 1916 Hudson Service Inspection Book.
Beals Motor Service, 416 Weatherly St., Borger, Texas. (From a '56 Hudson Rambler color brochure.)
J. Dennett Per 1916 Hudson Service Inspection Book.
Dr. E. E. Knox Per 1916 Hudson Service Inspection Book.
P.W. Maloney Per 1916 Hudson Service Inspection Book.
Corpus Christi, TX:
Hudson Corpus Christi Motors, Corpus Christi, TX. Introducing 1946 models.
Corpus Christi, TX:
Kirkman Car Exchange, 1601 S. Staples. From 2-11-57 Automotive News.
Other Hudson Dealerships in Corpus Christi, TX included:
C. Chaddick & Co., 508 Chapperal St. Per 1916 Hudson Service Inspection Book.
Silas G Fry Motor Co, 217 W. Fifth, Corsicana, TX. Ad seen in 1949 and 1953 Elmhouse High School yearbook. May have also been located at 122 w 3rd street at some point.
The Dallas Hudson Co., 510 N. Pearl St., Dallas, TX.
E.E. Huffhiner, Dallas, TX. Announced as new dealer in The Hudson Triangle, Vol.1 Number 8, December 2, 1911.
Hudson Sales Company, Dallas, TX. Dealer Name: W.A. Fosdick. Mentioned in Hudson Triangle News Volume 1 Number 20 from February 24, 1912.
The Rose-Fosdick, 1417 commerce Street (Circa 1912) Also seen in 1916 Hudson Service Inspection Book.
William Morriss, Inc., Dallas, TX. Featured in The White Triangle of May 15, 1920.
Del Rio, TX:
M.E. Woolf Per 1916 Hudson Service Inspection Book.
Pearce Auto Co. Per 1916 Hudson Service Inspection Book.
N.J. Keith Per 1916 Hudson Service Inspection Book.
El Paso, TX:
Casner Motor Company, Inc., 601 Wyoming Street.
El Paso, TX:
Nauman Motor Sales, NE corner of W San Antonio Ave & Leon St. C.D. Nauman manager, distributors of the Hudson and Reo pleasure cars, Reo and GMC trucks. Also found in 1916 Hudson Service Inspection Book. At 355 Myrtle Avve at some point?
Allen and Kendall Per 1916 Hudson Service Inspection Book.
Forth Worth, TX:
Smith-Swinney Motor Company, 1012-20 W. 7th St., Fort Worth, TX. This building was directly across the street from the Firestone Building. It was constructed in 1927 with a Spanish Colonial Revival facade; designed by Fort Worth Architect Wyatt C. Hedrick. to house the Smith-Swinney Motor Company which sold Hudson and Essex automobiles. It was one of the car dealerships that lined Seventh Street for several blocks between Summit Ave. and Henderson Street. From 1929 until 1962, the building was home of Mastin Motor Co. (A SEP.57 directory had this listed as a DeSoto dealership.) When Mastin closed, the ground floor storefronts were remodeled and the building has been used by a variety of tenants since that time including the Forth Worth Shaver and Appliance Center. In recent years, the building has been vacant and some partial demolition of the upper floor has been done recently after a 2000 tornado wreaked havoc on the structure. The current owners of the property sought permission from the City of Fort Worth to demolish the building. The building lacked a roof and was generally in bad repair. According to an article in the January 12, 2006 (page D1) Fort Worth Star-Telegram, the city delayed demolition of the building for six months in hopes of finding a use for the property. It was completely demolished on February 23, 2007.
Other Hudson dealerships in Fort Worth, TX included:
Harrison-Green Motor Co. Per 1916 Hudson Service Inspection Book. Also shown in "Biennial Report of Secretary of State of the State of Texas" listed under "Domestic Charters Forfeited for Non-payment of Franchise Tax, July 2, 1917 to July 2, 1918" The Franchise Tax was reported as $10.00!
T.J. Martin Per 1916 Hudson Service Inspection Book.
H.L. Simpson Per 1916 Hudson Service Inspection Book. Also mentioned on page of The Hudson Triangle Volume 6 Number 6.
Above is a photo from the Cotton Carnival & Races on the lawn of of the Galvez Hotel at 2024 Seawall Blvd in Galveston, TX where General Manager E.C. Morse (at left) managed a factory exhibit. Visiting dealers were William Steinhard of San Antonio TX, A.C. Burton of Houston TX, Mr Wray of Shreveport LA, C.W. Roberts of Hondo TX, Mr. Rose of Dallas TX, and Rupert Cox of Beaumont TX plus others. Between 1,000 to 1,200 visitors came from Texas, Louisiana, and Oklahoma. This was featured in The Hudson Triangle Volume 2 Number 7 on August 17, 1912. - The Galvez Hotel still overlooks the Galveston Seawall and Gulf of Mexico to date where it was built in 1911.
W.H. Davis Per 1916 Hudson Service Inspection Book.
Hindman & Hopkins Per 1916 Hudson Service Inspection Book.
Wesley J. Bailey Per 1916 Hudson Service Inspection Book.
Hondo Auto Sales Per 1916 Hudson Service Inspection Book.
A.C. Burton & Co., 1116 main (Circa 1910) and at 1400-1402 Main St (circa 1926). Dealer Name: A.C. Burton. Article clipping from The Hudson Triangle, volume 3 Number 35 from February 28, 1914. Also seen in 1916 Hudson Service Inspection Book. See Alex Clark Motor Car Company ad.
Alex Clark Motor Car Co., corner San Jacinto & Walker (circa 1926). Ad from Houston Chronicle, May 30, 1926. Charles D. Welty and Alex Clark moved from St. Joseph, MO and formed a business partnership under the firm name of Alex Clark Motor Car Company in 1925 as a Hudson and Essex distributor. Upon the death of Mr. Clark, the dealership was taken over by Mr. Welty and renamed Welty Motor Co, see below.
Welty Motor Co, originally located at San Jacinto and Walker streets as shown in photo and moved to 1701 Milam in 1932. Operated by Charles Douglas Welty until his death, May 7, 1953.Click here for more information.
Broadway Motor Co, 402 Broadway. July 1949 Southwestern Bell Greater Houston Telephone Directory
Lundell Motor Co., 3617-3619 Washington Blvd (circa 1926). See Alex Clark Motor Car Company ad.
Snelling Motor Co., 6600 Harrisburg Blvd (circa 1926). See Alex Clark Motor Car Company ad.
Washington Motors, 3711 Washington. July 1949 Southwestern Bell Greater Houston Telephone Directory
Bunger & Waring 1925-1926
Bunger Motor Co. 1927
Hughes Motor Sales & Service, Domingues Motor Building 1929
W.H. Rutherford, 1500 Water St. (Kerrville Garage). New agency in May 1936.
J.G. Asher, at Kerrville Garage. Open agency July 1936.
Burton Motor Sales
Broadway Service Station
Wright & Webster Motor Co.
Baker Motor Company, 1300 Broadway. 1946.
Broadway Motors, 1300 Broadway. 1950.
Wormser Bros. Per 1916 Hudson Service Inspection Book.
Bodenheim & Campbell Per 1916 Hudson Service Inspection Book.
S.J. Bailey Per 1916 Hudson Service Inspection Book.
W.H. Worthy Per 1916 Hudson Service Inspection Book.
Wakefield Motor Co, 602 W Broad. Circa 1949-1952.
Schmidt Auto Per 1916 Hudson Service Inspection Book.
P.W. Wyman Per 1916 Hudson Service Inspection Book.
New Braunfels, TX:
Bender Motor Co, Seguin & Mill Street, New Braunfels, TX. Dealer Name: C. Bender. Item is 8" long by 1 1/4" wide at spoon end and 1 1/2" wide at opener end.
Other dealerships in New Braunfels, TX included:
Auto Sales & Supply Co. Per 1916 Hudson Service Inspection Book.
Marvin Evans Per 1916 Hudson Service Inspection Book.
Brown Motor Co, Plainview, TX. Bryon Brown signed his contract without seeing the new cars per The Hudson Triangle, Vol.2 Number 6, August 10, 1912. Also mentioned in The Hudson Triangle, Vol.1 Number 23 March 16, 1912.
C.J. Moore Auto Mart and Texaco Station. C.J. Moore was also a dog breeder and aviation booster.
San Angelo, TX:
Webb Auto Per 1916 Hudson Service Inspection Book.
San Antonio, TX:
John Boyd Motors, 606 Broadway.
Ad found in June 15, 1947 San Antonio Light.
San Antonio, TX:
Orsinger Motor Co, 445 Main Avenue, San Antonio, TX.
Other Hudson dealerships in San Antonio, TX included:
Crockett Automobile Co., 109 W. Crockett St. Seen in 1916 Hudson Service Inspection Book.
Ed Podewil's Service, 1727 N. Main Ave.
Fred P. Warren Co. Mentioned in The Hudson Triangle, Vol.1 Number 23 March 16, 1912.
San Saba, TX:
San Saba Garage & Machine Co. Per 1916 Hudson Service Inspection Book.
Puls Auto Co. Per 1916 Hudson Service Inspection Book.
C.E. Sammons circa 1913-1916? Seen in 1916 Hudson Service Inspection Book.
Marstaller Motors, 3000 Speight Street, Waco, TX. Dealer Name: Gertrude & Charles Marstaller. Marstaller Motors entered this single carburetor model in an acceleration race sponsored by the Copparrals Racing Association of Grand Prairie, Texas. Mechanic Donald Wood's car accelerated to 72.58 miles per hour in 1/4 mile to beatl all competition. (Left to Right) Donald Wood, Charlie Marstaller, Jr. and Dallas District Manager Jack Sherman.
Other dealerships in Waco, TX included:
Percy Willis Per 1916 Hudson Service Inspection Book.
Wichita Falls, TX:
Lloyd Weaver Auto Co., 814 Travis St. Photo from Vol 9 No 11 Hudson Triangle News of Dec 1919. Click here for more information and pictures.
Wichita Falls, TX:
Schnell & Weaver Per 1916 Hudson Service Inspection Book. Weaver left partnership to create Lloyd Weaver Auto Co.
Atherly Brothers, unknown address, Eureka, Utah. The building was constructed in 1892 by McCrystal & Company to house the Tintic Miner (local newspaper), a meat market, and barber shop. Shortly after it became the Tintic Mercantile Company (general merchandise) owned by McCrystal Investment Company [of the Eureka Hill and Gemini Mines] to serve as a "company store" for the mines. In the 1930s or 1940s, the Atherly Brothers operated a Hudson-Essex dealership in the building. In at least the 1970s it was the Amoco Oil Station.
George T Frost, 1950 Washington Blvd. Circa 1950? This property is now home to Fat Bob's Garage.
Ogden Motor Co, 2653 Washington Ave. Circa 1915?
Salt Lake City, UT:
Alex. Beveridge, Salt Lake City, UT. Announced as new dealer in The Hudson Triangle, Vol.1 Number 8, December 2, 1911.
Salt Lake City, UT:
Tom Botterill Automobile Company, 36-42 South State Street. Utah State Historical Soceity has a photo of showroom avaiable from Jan 14, 1918 showing the Botterill Auto Company display of Dodge Brothers, Pierce Arrow and Hudson Cars.
Salt Lake City, UT:
Botterill Patterson, 25 South 3rd St. Tom Botterill's business clipping from the Utah Daily Chronicle 1938-11-23, a University of Utah school paper. Notice the three digit phone number in the lower right. State archives notes:
The name of Botterill is a familiar one to automobile dealers and the owners of motor cars throughout the west. For years the brothers, Tom and Frank Botterill, have been associated, first in the bicycle and afterward in the automobile trade, and their business has been conducted under the firm style of the Botterill Automobile Company. The brothers own the controlling interest in the Denver establishment as well as in the Salt Lake City agency. Their interests are equally divided, Tom Botterill remaining in charge in Denver, while Frank Botterill maintains and directs the business in Salt Lake.
Salt Lake City, UT:
Harry F. Luff Motor Co., 703 17th, Salt Lake City, UT. Featured in May 1980 WTN.
Salt Lake City, UT:
L.H. Strong Motors, 200 South West Temple Street, circa 1943, and then moved to 679 So Main Street (about 6-7 blocks away) in 1945, where it stayed until the franchise folded in 1954. They were featured in the Feb 1953 Service Merchandiser. They also sold Studebaker at some point. Company was namesake of Leroy Hobson Strong (1900-1975). After Hudson folded, the family took on VW in March of 1955 with Dave, Leroy's son, managing the business. In 1969, Dave acquired one of the first Porsche and Audi dealerships in the country at a new location where it still operates today at 1070 South Main Street (Circa Jan 2001.). Be sure to visit the Strong Volkswagen website. 55 years, 3rd generation. Brad and Blake Strong are co-dealers. Their father, Dave, is now retired, and grandpa Leroy passed. Click here for more info and pictures of this dealership.
Lloyds Motor Service, 396 W. Main Street, Vernal, UT. This company celebrated the opening of their new 1953 showroom by an outdoor dance for city residents aided by several giveaways to stimulate attendance.
Bennington Garage, 327-1/2 Main St., Bennington, VT. Ad appeared in Automobile Blue Book (Vol. 2, 1918). (Also sold Federal automobiles per 1923 Automobile Blue Book)
Williams and Bugbee, 945 East Main Street, Bennington, VT. Dealer Name: Joseph Latif & E.W. Williams. This unused postcard is believed to date from the late thirties or early forties and there are several International trucks pictured. This dealer sold Hudsons after World War Two, but may not have had that franchise when the card was printed.
Williams and Bugbee is shown again in this later photo. It's believed to date from the late forties or early fifties as it appears that the nose of a Step-Down is peeking out of an open garage door.
Burlington Motor Co., Inc., 51 Elmwood Avenue. Dealer Name: R.J. Crocher. Circa 1949.
H.M. Farnham & Sons, Inc., 50 Court Street. Dealer Name: Hector Farnham. Circa 1949.
Frontier Motors. Dealer Name: H.D. March. Circa 1949.
Rutland Motor Sales, Corner of West and Wales St., Rutland, VT. Postcard circa 1924.
Other dealerships in Rutland, VT included:
Howard's Garage, 212 S. Main Street. Dealer Name: Rogers Y. Howard. Circa 1949.
St. Alban's, VT:
Badger & Paquin, Federal Street. Dealer Name: Burton Paquin and Maurice Badger. Circa 1949.
Old Dominion Motors, Pitt & Montgomery Sts., Alexandria, VA. Dealer Name: Jerry Slagle. Note a second location in Arlington that had been listed previously. Click here for more pictures and information.
Hawkins Motor Co., 2501 Columbia Pike, Arlington, VA.
Other dealerships in Arlington, VA included:
Old Dominion Motors, North 10th & Irving Sts., Arlington, VA. See Alexandria, VA listing for other location.
Shenandoah Transportation Co., 1169 High St, Harrisonburg, VA. Sold Nash from 1952-1975? Hudson years unknown.
Other dealerships in Harrisonburg, VA included:
Shomo Motor Co., N. Liberty and Kratzer Rd.
Friendly Motor Sales, Lynchburg, VA. This dealership participated in the donation of one of 23 Jets to winners of the Teacup Contest. Per December 1953 Hudson Dealer News (re: above photo): C.H. Crews, Jr. was the winner of the Teacup Contest Jet in the Alexandria Zone. (Left to Right) Ernie Gowin of Friendly Motor Sales gives keys to Jet to C.H. Crews, Jr. while salesman R.G. Shelton, who gave Mr. Crews demonstration, is an observer at the happy event.
C.E. Wright Co., 426-430 Monticello Avenue. In business from 1912-1939, but photo is circa 1913-14. 229 E. 41st St was another location, but years there unknown.
Airline Motor Co., 1411 Airline Blvd, Portsmouth, VA. This dealership was located in a town area of 80,000 people in 1953, of which many were naval shipyard workers. This gave the city many possible Hudson owners. In December 1953 Hudson Dealer News: Freeland H. Forehand is the progressive owner of this dealership formerly representing a competitive make. His company is located in a town that has two major naval installations. Mr. Forehand is a very sales minded individual who says this of Hudson, "Sure, I had the chance to take on several other competitive franchises. But here is why I choose Hudson. It's a better product, it has a well established reputation and I like the Hudson market coverage. For instance, we've delivered five Hudson Jets in the past ten days because more and more people are going for an economy car. The Jet has economy plus.
Bourne-Jones Motor Co., Inc, 3000 W. Broad St. In business during at least the stepdown years. Click here for more pictures!
Gordon Motor Car Co. In business during at least 1910 per Hudson Motor Car Co bulletin.
Virginia Motor Co., 411-413 Jefferson St., Roanoke, VA (1923 Automobile Blue Book/touring guide)
Rocky Mount, VA:
Central Garage, Rocky Mount, VA (Also sold Dodge Bros.) (1923 Automobile Blue Book/touring guide)
C.T. Scurry. Appointed a Hudson dealership in 1916, Per The Automobile. Also found in this Hudson Triangle.
Sunset Oakland Co., 521 E. First St. (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)
Auburn Hudson Co., 616 West Main St. (Per 03/30/52 Seattle Times newspaper ad.)
Hoyt's Garage (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)
Ulrich-Masten Motors. Dealer Name: E.V. "Babe" Ulrich. Seen in 03/30/52 and 03/08/1953 Seattle Times newspaper ads. Also featured in Sept 1953 Hudson Dealer News.
|Kulshan Motor Company,1112-1114 Harris Avenue / 1300-1304 12th Street (Southwest Corner 12th and Harris)|
In 1919, a one-story structure with basement and a wood truss roof with arched profile and clerestory end windows was constructed on the southwest corner of 12th and Harris to house Kulshan Motor Company, an automobile dealership and garage. The new era of auto tourism had arrived in Bellingham with the completion of State Highway 99, known as the Pacific Highway, and the paving of scenic Chuckanut Drive. Several other auto service businesses were established at this time, taking advantage of the tourist traffic along 12th Street. / The Kulshan Motor Company was purchased in 1924 by George and Mike Monson and renamed Chuckanut Motor Company with a focus on auto repair rather than sales. The Hudson-Essex dealership of Kulshan was taken over by P.L. Donovan (son of J.J. Donovan) and moved to his dealership in downtown Bellingham. / Chuckanut Motors continued under the ownership of the Monson brothers until 1960 when Clarence Lockhart and then Willard Fayette assumed ownership.
In the 1970’s, the building was purchased by Clifford and Phyllis McKee who renovated the building for a restaurant and shops and named the building Finnegan’s Alley in honor of Fairhaven pharmacist, George Finnegan, who was also an investor in the original Kulshan Motor Company. Finnegan’s Alley is now the name of the area of shops just to the west of this building. / Gallery West has occupied the corner since 1972. A gift shop, the Wicker Basket opened at 1302 12th Street in 1973. In 1976, the Fairhaven Restaurant opened in the basement at 1114 Harris Avenue. As of 2010, the Fairhaven Restaurant is still operating as well as Gallery West. Blue Horizon boutique occupies 1302 12th Street along with Fairhaven Gold, and the Big Fat Fish Company restaurant completes the south portion of the building facing 12th Street. Vintage Photo courtesy Whatcom Museum Photo Archives.
Bellingham Motor Co. (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)
P.L. Donovan, downtown Bellingham. P.L. was the son of J.J. Donovan.
Prospect Motors, 104 Prospect. A Farmers Insurange agency is located at this address, but not sure of building date. (Per 03/30/52 and 03/08/1953 Seattle Times newspaper ads.)
W.H. Bland Appointed a Hudson dealership in 1916, Per The Automobile.
C.B. Craft (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)
Crawford Motors, 135 N. Callow Ave. N. Dealer name was R.T. Crawford. Not sure if Hudson dealership, but definately Nash from 1939-1956.
Countryman Motors, 212 S Tower St. (Hudson Service Merchandiser Vol 5 No 9 from September 1953.)
Howard H. Hutchins. Summa & Gold St. Presumably began after WWII, but continued as an AMC dealer until he retired in the '70's. "In 1958, the Lewis-Clark Hotel in Centralia offered a six-course Thanksgiving dinner for $2.50, with children paying $1.25. Halgrens, 1001 S. Gold St., across from Howard Hutchins, offered a Thanksgiving dinner for 99 cents, with children under 6 years paying 49 cents." per The Chronicle.
Hutchins-Peacock Motor Co. (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)
Chehalis Garage, Inc. (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.) Possibly at 950 Marker St. Believed to sell Packard as well in unknown years.
Cle Elum, WA:
Reliable Auto Co. (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)
Colfax Motor Co. (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)
White Blessing Motor Co. (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)
C.J. Walker & Son (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)
Harry Sims, 213 W. 4th (Per 03/30/52 and 03/08/1953 Seattle Times newspaper ads.)
Mt. View Service Station (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)
C.V. Allen, 3001-3009 Colby Ave. Owned by C.V. Allen from at least 1920-1923. Allen sold out to John R. Hawkins and it became Hawkins-Allen Motor Company, see that name for further info.
F.M. Powell Appointed as dealership in 1916 per The Automotive.
Hawkins-Allen Motor Company, 3001-3009 Colby Avenue, Everett, WA. John R. Hawkins, President and Treasurerer and C.V. Allen, Vice President and
Secretary. In business at least during 1923-1937. In at least 1937, they also sold Buick.
Root Motors / Root Motor Co, 25th & Broadway (Per 03/30/52 and 03/08/1953 Seattle Times newspaper ads.) Also featured in March 1953 Service Merchandiser.
Swenson Motors, Inc. (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)
Maurer Bros. (Per 11/3/1937 Portland News Telegram.)
Webber Fruit Co. (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)
H.C. Turner. Click here for biography.
Walker's Garage, 610 8th St. Appointed a Hudson dealership in 1916, Per The Automobile.
Haussler Motor Company (Per 07/22/1934 newspaper ad, 01/27/35 Sunday [Portland] Oregonian, 10/29/1939 [Portland] Oregon Sunday Journal ad, 11/3/1937 Portland News Telegram, and 10/29/1939 [Portland] Oregon Sunday Journal ad.)
Graves Auto Service, 15 N. Auburn, Kennewick, WA. Graves Auto Service received the Hudson automobile franchise in 1948. Visit the East Benton County Historical Museum to view a photo in front of the dealership with (from left), Wayne McGuffin, salesman; Alfred Amon, Kennewick mayor; a Hudson representative; Bill Graves, owner; O.C. “Dutch” Lincoln, police chief; and Paul Pickett, salesman.
Hansen's Garage / Hansen Motor Company (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.) A November 7, 1935 Eastside Journal has HANSENS GARAGE ADDS AUTO SHOWROOM FOR INCREASED BUSINESS on first page! In a June 25, 1936 EastSide Journal, an article is titled HANSEN'S GARAGE SETS MONTH RECORD FOR TERRAPLANE SALES. In a October 16, 1947 EastSide Journal, an ad made to look like an article appears for HANSEN MOTOR COMPANY.
In a July 28, 1960 Eastside Journal, an article is titled HANSEN MOTOR CO GETS LARK, HAWK DEALERSHIP HERE
Leland Motors, Seventh Ave & Market St. The Leland Building was built on the southwest corner of 7th and Market in 1890, the first of the four original Kirk buildings to be completed that year. Daniel B. Jackson, the owner, was the grandfather of Dan Evans, the former senator and governor. The building was sold in 1925, the year Dan Evans was born. It was Kirkland's first theater, before movies. And then it became Kirkland's first movie theater, showing silent films. Photo circa late 1940s or early 1950s, courtesy Kirkland Heritage Society. In a December 11, 1947 Eastside Journal, an article is titled BEAUTIFUL NEW HUDSON NOW ON DISPLAY HERE AT LELAND MOTORS. At the time, it housed Leland Motors and the Gateway Hotel. There was a fire in the spring of 1963. O.F. Leland sold it to Standard Oil Co. It was demolished in December of 1964 and soon became the site of Gene Stumpf’s Chevron gas station. Directly across the street is the Peter Kirk Building, now the Kirkland Arts Center.
E.O. Knobel (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)
Cook Auto Sales (Per 03/16/1952 Oregon Journal ad.)
Louie's Auto Sales (Per 01/31/1954 Oregon Journal ad.)
McMillan Bros. (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)
Metaline Falls, WA:
Erwin P. Jones (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)
Mount Vernon, WA:
Olson Motors, Inc., 1405 S. Second St. Dealer Name: E.G. Olson. Phelps Tire Factory is located at this address, but not sure of building date. (Per 03/30/52 and 03/08/1953 Seattle Times newspaper ads.)
North Bend, WA:complete Service (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)
E.C. Tew The Automobile lists this as a Hudson agency as early as January 1916. It was a Maxwell agency as early as March 1914 per Horseless Age.
Northwest Motor Co. (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)
Kitching Motor Co. (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)
Pomeroy Auto Sales Co. (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)
Port Angeles, WA:
Howe's Garage, Appointed a Hudson dealership in 1916, Per The Automobile.
Irwin & Johnson, 117 North Lincoln. Maybe have been in the corner building at 1st & Lincoln. (Per 03/30/52 and 03/08/1953 Seattle Times newspaper ads.)
Kearns Motor Co. (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)
Port Townsend, WA:
Miller Motor Co. (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)
Morse Motors, 640 Water St. (Per 03/30/52 and 03/08/1953 Seattle Times newspaper ads.)
Gifford Motor Company, 200 Main Ave E.,Puyallup
The Gifford Motor Company was a Rambler and Hudson agency. W.H. Gifford, at left, is seen signing his 1954 franchise agreement. Mr. Gifford is well qualified to speak on the value of the Hudson franchise. He declares [in December 1953 Hudson Dealer News], "I value my Hudson franchise because I sincerely feel we have the safest, most economical and most beautiful car in the industry. This, together with the co-operative spirit felt through the entire factory and dealer organization, gives me as a Hudson dealer, a potential profit-making business unequalled by another franchise." S.D. Williams, at right, Portland Zone Manager, indicates that Gifford's opinion is typical of dealers in the Portland Zone... Two images of the dealership taken in January of 1958 can be viewed online courtesy the Tacoma Public Library. Puyallup Roller Rink was in the upper level of the building. The building was destroyed by fire in 1965. (Also seen in 03/08/1953 Seattle Times newspaper ad.) Click here to view their race car at Sea-Tac Speedway!
Minkler Motor Co. (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)
Mountcastle Motors, 545 Third Street (Per 03/08/1953 Seattle Times newspaper ad.)
Hamilton Bros. (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)
Motor In Garage, Inc., 1400 Bronson Way No. (Per 03/08/1953 Seattle Times newspaper ad.)
Sickmann's Garage (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)
Transportation Corporation, 12th and Pine, Seattle, WA.
Center Motors, 9439 17th St. S.W. (Per 03/08/1953 Seattle Times newspaper ad.)
Greenwood Auto Co., 8558 Greenwood Ave. (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)
Haggard Motor Co., 508 Fourth Ave. (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)
Grinnel Motor Co., 4901 15th Ave. NW (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)
Lough Motors, 810 Rainier Ave. (Per 03/30/52 and 03/08/1953 Seattle Times newspaper ads.)
Master Auto Service, 2324 Second Ave. (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)
McDonald Motors at 7407 Aurora Ave. N., 98103, at the intersection of Winona and Aurora. Sid McDonald opened his store every day and sold Hudson parts until he passed away in 1996. I believe “Aurora Suzuki,”
a motorcycle store, is now at this location. (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad as well as 03/30/52 and 03/08/1953 Seattle Times newspaper ads.)
Northwest Motors, Inc., 600 E. Pike St (Per 03/30/52 and 03/08/1953 Seattle Times newspaper ads.). This location is now home to Phil Smart Mercedes-Benz.
North Town Motors, Inc., 4701 Roosevelt Way (Per 03/30/52 and 03/08/1953 Seattle Times newspaper ads.)
Peterson-Wever Motor Co., 4701 Roosevelt Way (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)
S.E. Key Co., 4203 W. Alaska St. (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)
W.R. MacDonald Co., 1830 Broadway (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)
Hal Steiner's Hudson,12800 Aurora Ave N. This dealership had its beginning in 1936 when Mr. Hal Steiner started a Hudson Motor Car dealership, located in the University District at 4057 Roosevelt Way. He sold Hudsons through World War II. In September 1945 Mr. Steiner gave up ... show more the Hudson dealership to acquire a promising new line of automobiles ... Studebaker. He sold Studebakers for nine years before being awarded a Buick franchise for the launch of the 1955 model year in October 1954. In May of 1959 Mr. Steiner sold the dealership to John Dresslar and Jim Waesche who kept the store at Roosevelt Way until 1967. On September 1st of that year the dealership was moved to a brand new facility at 9600 1st Avenue Northeast near the Northgate Shopping Center. Ten years to the day after buying the dealership together, Mr. Dresslar bought out Mr. Waesche. On October 1, 1972 Mr. Dresslar sold the dealership to Warren Westlund who remained at the Northgate location until 1986. In February of that year the dealership moved to its present location at 12800 Aurora Avenue North. Warren became ill with cancer and named Mark Westlund as successor dealer. Warren passed away in February of 1992 and Mark became the dealer and purchased Warren Westlund Buick GMC from the estate of his father.
Scott E. Bird, 10th Avenue NE at 47th, Seattle, WA. Stationary topper dates to 1920s.
W.L. Eaton, 1110 East Pine St. Photo is architect's conception published August 14, 1927; groundbreaking had occured the week prior. The building was finished on January 4, 1928. This building was built for W. L. Eaton, a Dodge dealer. By the 1930s, he had acquired a Hudson franchise. W. L. Eaton had closed by 1940, and the L.E. Belcourt Co. moved into the building in 1941, and remained there until 1978. Belcourt sold Studebakers from the '40's thru '60's and was also one of the main Renault-Peugeot dealerships in Seattle in the '60's.
Wilcox Motors, 600 E. Pike St. Rambler, Hudson, and Metropolitan added in 1957 per 2-11-57 Automotive News. Building is now being used as Mercedes-Benz dealership!
Sedro Woolley, WA:
Kness Motor Co. (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)
Olympic Motor Sales, Inc., S First St & Mill St (per 1947 ad) or 627 S. First St. (Per 03/30/52 and 03/08/1953 Seattle Times newspaper ads.) Click here to view ads!
Soap Lake, WA:
Soap Lake Motor Co. (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)
"Burnie" Hyland. Second at Jefferson. 1945-1951
Preston Motor Co. (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)
Transport Corporation (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)
St. John, WA:
St. John Hdw. & Imp. Co. (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)
Sumner Auto Exchange (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)
ALLEN MOTOR CO., 739-45 BROADWAY (Tacoma Daily Ledger 3/15/1925 p.G5 New Hudson-Essex home)
Now home to Sanford & Sons Antique Auctions
Boyd Motors, 8223 Pacific Ave., Tacoma, WA. Boyd Motor Company was owned and operated by Boyd H. Shirley. It opened about 1947. (Also seen in 03/30/52 and 03/08/1953 Seattle Times newspaper ads.) Photos taken on 10-24-1947 can be viewed online courtesy the Tacoma Public Libary.
BYE THOMPSON MOTOR SALES, 3320 SO. G ST. (Tacoma Daily Ledger 6/21/1925 p.G11 New associate Hudson-Essex dealers here)
CENTRAL MOTORS, 714-16 BROADWAY (Tacoma News Tribune 11/21/1949 p.21 Grand opening as a Hudson dealer, also seen in 03/30/52 and 03/08/1953 Seattle Times newspaper ads.). The neighborhood north of 9th in the Broadway/St. Helens area was Tacoma’s “autorow” in early twentieth century.
McKee Motors, 5402-5406 S. Tacoma Way. Luther McKee established his business here in 1927. He sold Hudson & Essex until his death in 1929. Click here for history on the building!
McLaughlin Motor Co. (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)
Pacific Car Co., N. 2nd & G Sts. "The House of Service" Featured in The Hudson Triangle Vol.3 No.48 of May 1914.
Pioneer Motor Co., 5637 South Tacoma Way (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)
Culp & Co. (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)
Johnson's Garage (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)
Lineham Motor Company (Per 02/12/33 Sunday [Portland] Oregonian.)
Marion Motors (Per 03/16/1952 Oregon Journal ad.)
McIver Motor Company (Per 07/22/1934 newspaper ad, 01/27/35 Sunday [Portland] Oregonian, and 10/29/1939 [Portland] Oregon Sunday Journal ad.)
Perkins Motor Co. (Per 11/3/1937 Portland News Telegram.)
R.J. Higdon (Per 10/29/1939 [Portland] Oregon Sunday Journal ad.)
Walla Walla, WA:
H.L. Gray (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)
Wenatchee Hudson Co., 1017 N. Wenatchee Avenue - Circa 1940's.
Modern Auto Co., Inc. (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)
Hubbell Motors (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)
James Delaney (Per 11/3/1937 Portland News Telegram and 10/29/1939 [Portland] Oregon Sunday Journal ad.)
White Salmon, WA:
D.H. Sorter (Per 11/3/1937 Portland News Telegram.)
Inland Motor Co., 406 S. First St. A body shop is currently at this location, but age of building unknown. (Per 03/30/52 and 03/08/1953 Seattle Times newspaper ads.)
Mays-PcPeak Motor Co. (Per 12/01/35 Seattle Sunday Times newspaper ad.)
Washington Auto Co.. Appointed as dealership in 1916 per The Automotive.
|Burrows Motors, 900 M Street, Washington, D.C. Home to a Hudson auto dealership and more recently a dialysis unit, this building has gone under renovations and completed to create three retail spaces; a Domino's will occupy one spot.|
District Motor Company, 1509 14th Street N.W.,Washington, D.C., circa 1950s. District Motor Company was founded by World War I veteran Frederick L. Haller in 1919. A 1920 photo shows it at 932 14th St NW with a service station at 1428 Church St. NW, washington, dc. It moved several times and finally settled at this place by the time Edward Andrus photographed it in the 1950s at 1509-1515 14th Street NW in Washington, DC. In 1978 Joy Zinoman founded Studio Theatre which was next door to the old District Motors location. In 2001, Studio Theatre purchased the adjacent buildings which included the building which District Motors once occupied. Zinoman and her company paid $2.75 million for the new buildings and spent an extra $6.75 million renovating them.
H.B. Leary, 1317-1/2 14th Street N.W.,Washington, D.C., circa 1911.
I.C. Barber Motor Co, 14th & Irving Streets N.W., Washington, D.C. Circa 1926 photo can be viewed on Shorpy.com.
Other dealers in Washington, D.C. included:
Semmes Motor Co., Connecticut Ave., Washington, D. C. (Circa 1915.)
For more historical and current photos of West Virgina, please visit MyWVHome.com.
Frank S. Mullen, Inc., Broad Street, Charleston, WV. Move cursor over image to view interior of dealership. The photos are from the September 1953 Volume 5 Number 9 Hudson Dealer News. This building would later house the A&P store and also a Rambler
Midelburg Garage, 1016-1018 Lee Street, Charleston, WV (referenced in 1923 & 1926 Automobile Blue Book/touring guide)
Wayne Hudson Sales, Wayne, WV. Owned by Jack Fry. New dealer in 1953.
CLICK HERE TO VIEW DEALERSHIP PHOTO!
Du Bois & Kieffer, 137 Third Avenue. Photo shows both the Du Bois & Keiffer Hudson dealership as well as Philbrick Motors, a Willys dealership, which shared the building. There is a Phillips 66 gas pump and a sign for Kendall Oil in front of the Hudson portion of the building. A tow truck, canvas covered trailer, and Jeep are parked in front of the Willys dealership. Photo circa 1945.
CLICK HERE TO VIEW DEALERSHIP PHOTO!
Mueller's Garage, Baraboo, WI. Circa 1930. Mueller's Garage sold Hudson and Essex. They shared a business corner with an Energee gas station as the anchor store and Ben Doty's Tire Service on the far side of the complex.
Jimmie W. Menhall, Beloit, WI. Announced as new dealer in The Hudson Triangle, Vol.1 Number 8, December 2, 1911.
DeVoe Motors, 814 East Exchange. Click here to view historic dealership photo. In business circa 1953.
Dreikosen Garage, 131 East Main Street. Also referred to as Lot 1-2-3-Block of Senfts Addition, the property once held the James McCullough Store & Hotel & Livery Barn. Around 1925-26, Lot 3 was purchased from Emmett Curran by a William J. Dreikosen. Dreikosen built the garage in the lot and his son Gilbert had the Dodge & Studebaker Agency. They starte in buisness on July 27th 1926. In 1953 he also had the Hudson dealership. He operated the garage until ill health forced him to retire. The garage was not used for a few years until the Village of Campbellsport purchased it on December 9th of 1964. On November 20th 1975 the Village of Campbellsport sold the property to the Ben Franklin Corp for a new store which was completed in 1976.
Anderson Motors, 1220 Sixth St. (60th St & 12th Ave) Dealer: Red Anderson. Circa 1954.
Hudson Auto Co.1134 E. Washington Avenue. Click here to view image of Hudsoon Auto Co. holding a "motor school" on Feb 19, 1947 to teach the use of Sun diagnostic equipment.
Valley Hudson Sales, Menasha, WI May 1951. Photo courtesy John Davidson of Bristol, WI.
De La Hunt Motor Co, 3617 W. Wisconsin Ave.
Ed Mazzoni Motors, Inc., 3617 W. Wisconsin Ave. Clipping from Milwaukee Journal Aug 9, 1949. Click here for more pictures and information!
Peters Auto Sales, 5600 National Ave, Milwaukee (West Allis), WI. It was owned by Ben and/or Mike Peters. Click here to view more pictures and information on this dealership!
Jesse A. Smith Auto Company of Milwaukee, 213-15 Wisconsin St.
: The Jesse A. Smith Auto Company was established independently in 1911. They handled and distributed Hudson and Essex cars with Wisconsin and upper Michigan as their territory. In 1920, Jesse Smith was the president of the
National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA).
A.A. DeLong, Monfort, WI. Announced as new dealer in The Hudson Triangle, Vol.1 Number 8, December 2, 1911.
Jenkins Motor Sales, 901 East Wisconsin Street, Portage, WI. This delaership originated in 1939 as a Hudson Dealer and is still open today offering full service auto dealership. Visit their website or visit them on FaceBook.
Union Grove, WI:LonstrupHudsonSales_UnionGroveWI.jpg
Lonstrup Hudson Sales, 15th Ave. & Center (Hwy 11), Union Grove, WI.
West Allis, WI:
ChetBarnkeow, 9423 W. Greenfield Ave. Wedding party captured the dealership in background on August 30, 1947. Location would later house Ed Mazzoni Motors.
West Allis, WI:
Ed Mazzoni Motors, Inc., 9423 W. Greenfield Ave. Ad from Milwaukee Journal April 23, 1954. Click here for more pictures and information!
Jesse M. Chase Casper Motors, Inc., Casper, WY. Photo from February 25, 1957 Automotive News. May have been known as Jesse M. Chase Casper Co. in earlier years.
R.N. Van Sant, Corner of 2nd & Yellowstone Hwy, Casper, WY. Circa 1920-1922. The May 1920 Hudson Triangle mentioned an airplane being used to support the efforts of the dealership!
Chief Automobile Company, Cheyenne, WY. Photo circa 1949.
Rock Springs, WY:
Western Auto Transit, 210 "C" St. In business during at least 1927-29. The building is now occupied by the Allied Glass Company and is two buildings down the street from the Rock Springs History Museum. There appear to be three 1927 Essex automobiles posed in this picture. I am curious about the front bumpers. My understanding is that the bumpers were an option in 1927?
Looking for more information or pictures on the following Hudson Dealerships. Names, locations, and pictures are wanted.
Lambert Motor Co? Location of this multi-franchise dealership is unknown. The car on the left is a 1941 Willys Americar and the one on the right is a 1941 Hudson. Name on the building could be Lambert Motor Co. Possibly same as Lambert's Garage of New Windsor, MD?
Paxton Autocraft, W. Exchange St., City and State Unknown. Circa 1937. Possibly Akron, Ohio.
This photo appeared in the December 1976 White Triangle News. The name and location of the dealership is unknown.
Looking at the cars, it dates to 1946 or '47. If you can identify this, please contact webmaster.